Cutlass Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutlass Hunting

I did a down & back to Solomons today with John Veil in an attempt to catch some Atlantic Cutlass fish. We did this trip last August and was a blast. It took a steep learning curve before I landed my first in 2023. Today’s trip was disappointing. We spent 4+ hours in our area with John finally landing one at the end of the day. My best moment was I took a detour to a shallow area looking for White Perch. I was throwing a Big Nose Spinner. Instead of a perch I landed a fat Redfish to my big surprise. I thought it was a Striper at first due to the couple of head shakes, but when I saw the color-I knew it was a Redfish. I had to retire the spinner due to the bend shape after the fish fish fight.

We are going to make another try for Cutlass in August. Think that we were a little ahead to the big migration to that area.

DSCF3709.jpg DSCF3710.jpg
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

John, I'm looking at the photo and the lure doesn't look too bad at all.

Bend the arm towards the head a little bit past 90 degrees, and gently bend the hook so the point is level. (And maybe polish the blade up a little with some #0000 steel wool or metal polish!).

Should be good a lot more fish!

Stu

Comment

That slot red is a nice consolation prize for the lack of cutlassfish
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks for the report. Cutlass is a species I haven't had much luck with. Besides one or two back in 2021 or so, haven't been able to dial them in.
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I stayed out an hour after John Rentch called it quits. I finally got my one and only cutlassfish of the day during the fifth hour of the trip. It bit a 4" Gulp swimming mullet on a 1/2-oz jighead. I cast it out, let it sink, and retrieved it slowly along the bottom. I had a bunch of taps on previous casts, but this was the only fish that got hooked up.

2024-07-08-002.jpg

2024-07-08-003.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Cool report. Bummer about the lack of fish. Those cutlassfish are super strange looking. haha.

Comment

Working...
            X