OC Fish & Paddle Tournament + OC Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Fish & Paddle Tournament + OC Fishing

It’s been awhile since I posted a report but I’m still kayak fishing and still enjoy it! I fished OC with Grilled yesterday and we did pretty well with some blues, rockfish, small tog and some eater sized sheepshead. Thanks to the OC fish and paddle tournament I got to learn this fishery and wish I had learned it sooner! For those who haven’t been there, current and the bridge and inlet can be very challenging so be prepared and time your trip around the tides.

About the tournament, we had a great time as usual at the event and even though it ends up being an expensive weekend with hotel / tournament costs / food & drink I think it is worth it. I have done the event 3 times now and usually win something in the raffle or in one of the many prize categories which helps with the entry fee. I won 1st in the CCA catch & release division three years ago, then second and placed with a heavy rockfish, then had to miss last year, and this year I won first again in C&R. The big fish was a 38.25” rockfish (at the tip) and it came with a CCA Engel cooler and a trip to Spain to represent the USA Saltwater Kayak fishing team at the Worlds event. I’m excited to get to go represent Team USA in Valencia Spain in October! We also saw some big weakfish around which was really cool (Slap won largest trout with this one). Overall, I didn’t catch as many fish as years past and hooked over 12 CNRs which was a first. We also watched the Jersey boys out on an absolute clinic at the jetty catching black drum, sheepshead, tog, a lot of stripers, and bluefish all on sand fleas. It was cool to watch but frustrating. I got lucky and knew Gary Ward from kayak wars and jbay back in the day and he hooked me up with fleas and after still watching me not hook up, he game me one of his bottom sweeper jigs. It worked and I caught that big rock. Gary ended up in 4th with a new lightning kayak after the first place “winner” was caught cheating. The tournament has a kill category and the top prize is usually around $4,000. I’ve always disliked money tournaments bc it brings out the worst in people and that’s one of the reasons CBKA was for bragging rights. In past years there have been suspicions of the guy cheating (we saw him get bunker from a boat which is not legal and launch at a non-public spot) bc he always would disappear at the end of the day and then come in right before the buzzer with some big blues to win the event. I hope they go back and make him repay if he cheated in them too!

We also stopped by to see Dean at OC Kayak and check out his store. He has a great setup with a lot of Yakattack, Scotty and local brand jigs, leashes and local fishing accessories which I really liked. With Backyard Boats now closed I will be heading there for my kayak needs with a bonus to hit the OC fishery more often!

We also talked about the “old days” on Snaggedline and how much fun our meet and greets used to be. If anyone is still reading and wants to do a meet and greet, let me know and I will put it together!
    Attached Files
    Used to fish more.

Congrats on the win! That's an awesome striper, especially in July!

Was the illegal launch and bait buying what got the guy disqualified this year or was that in a past year?

Comment

It was good seeing you guys there again this year! Enjoy Spain! I hope you share the trip with us when its over.

For those that have never fished it, the tournament is always a good time and there are some really nice fish brought to the scales or released every year. Big bluefish, stripers, sheepshead, and black drum usually dominate the tournament, but a couple years ago a 40 lb cobia was brought to the scales. The cheater aside, there are some really great, friendly people that fish the tournament and the tournament always has a welcoming and chill vibe to it. I've been fishing it for 5 years now and look forward to every year.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by inthegrass View Post
        Was the illegal launch and bait buying what got the guy disqualified this year or was that in a past year?
        He was disqualified for launching before the approved time of 5am. And from what I heard WELL before 5am. He had a chance to take a polygraph, but backed out essentially admitting guilt. He's banned from ever competing again. Good riddance I say!
        Brian

Comment

Nice,,,
          It's been many years but My entire family came out for a Snaggedline Meet and Greet in O.C. ,, one of my favorite trips.
          Captian of the plastic Navy
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
          X