Puppy Drum + Specs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy Drum + Specs!

In keeping with trying to post more reports this year...

Went out on Sunday with Grilled and Slap looking for some puppy drum and specs. It was windier than expected and the water was turned up. Found some stripers early in the morning off some sod banks that were all over 20" with one probably in the 26"-27" range. That fish surprised me bc it crushed a skitterwalk in 2ft of water and typically do not find stripers that large this location and I had hoped it was a puppy after it took off pulling drag. Fall must be coming!

Anyway, covered a few miles trying to find them by trolling small swimshads. Had one knock down near a point and tried topwater again to see if there were fish around. After missing a few fish decided to try casting and landed a nice 25" spec! After that I picked up a 25" puppy drum in the same vicinity and while reeling it in another one hit my shad that was hanging off the kayak and almost broke the rod bc the line was tip wrapped. God lucky and it broke. Found the school again and it was a fish a cast until it shut down and we lost them. We found a few more on the way in but it was an overall tough day with one 30-40 min period when it turned on. It was great to see pups in the 22"-26" range though!
    Used to fish more.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 8 photos.
    Used to fish more.

Comment

Thanks for the report. That is an awesome looking citation trout.
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Great report! Awesome fishing!

Comment

Sounds like a great day. And that trout is a hog.

Comment

Great day, even if it all happened in a 30 minute period. You might consider changing your handle from Redfish to Graybeard.

Comment

Wow, sounds like a great trip!
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                That fish surprised me bc it crushed a skitterwalk in 2ft of water and typically do not find stripers that large this location
                You should probably share with us the lat/lon of the above mentioned location so we can provide feedback to you on whether any of us have ever caught any large stripers in that location before. That way you'll know if it truly was a surprise or not

Sweet trip though. Thanks for sharing!
                Brian

Comment

Working...
                X