Slow @ PLO, 5/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow @ PLO, 5/4

Ron and I met up at PLO to try for some big stripers and maybe scare up a flounder or two. I hit the water a bit before 9am, and Ron joined me short thereafter.

I started off jigging the inlet for flounder but didn't have any luck. Ron joined me, then we started trolling out to deeper water. I was pulling an X-Rap 14 in bunker and only picked up a crab pot on the way out. Ron headed toward the rock piles out in front of the beach, and I head out to try and find a couple rock piles out by Cornfield Point. I think I hooked a really nice flounder out there about two weeks ago while fishing from my buddy's boat. I was jigging a BKD on a rock pile he showed me, and I thought I was snagged. I started trying to break the lure off, and it came off the bottom but felt like I was stuck on a crab pot line or something else soft and water-resistant. I got it nearly to the surface and started getting ready to try and shake off whatever I was snagged on when I saw the tell-tale brown shape with tan dots below the surface. I saw a flash of white, my lure came free, and the brown shape with the tan dots shot back to the bottom. I wouldn't have believed it if my buddy hadn't seen it, too. So I was set on finding that flat bastard again.

I couldn't find the the rock pile (didn't have the numbers), so I jigged the drop off there. I was marking fish at the bottom of the drop off. I ended up with a 20" striper that released itself boatside. Except for a few missed hits and another crab pot (doing my best Pinch impression), I didn't have any more action out there. Ron didn't have any luck at the other rock piles, either.

Ron set up chumming, with 70lbs of chum, no less, out by the NOAA buoy. I trolled a couple different lures while heading back to meet up. No hits. Ron gave me some menhaden and a fresh spot, and we started soaking the bait in the chum slick. I also had some shrimp and tried for croaker at the same time. No hits whatsoever. We moved to slightly deeper water after a couple hours. I gave up on the croaker and went back to jigging again while soaking bait. I picked up another 20" striper on the jig. Since it was undersized, I quickly let it go without a pic.

We started heading back in around 2:30. We putzed around the inlet again but still had no luck.

We fished from early flood to early ebb, soaked 70lbs of chum, used really fresh bait, and only saw two fish, which was pretty hard to believe. Water temperature was ~64*, and the salinity was 13.5. There were plenty of bait marks in the water, and I saw bigger fish that were probably stripers in the 20" range like I caught. I didn't see any big fish marks, and the trollers were complaining about how slow it was. We heard a couple of fish in the high 30s were caught on the VA side. We couldn't have had nicer weather, and it was good to fish with Ron again and hear about his fishing adventures in Virginia, but I wish the catching was a bit better. I was kind of out of it today and only took a few pictures. Here's Ron coming back into the inlet:

Apparently, the crabbing isn't that good, either. Not only did we not catch any crabs while chumming, the crab boats were picking up their pots while we were out there. So I'm guessing they were going to move them somewhere more productive. Either that, or they were tired of watching me snagging them. Hopefully, the croakers and flounder will pick up soon.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

I really enjoy a day on the water with Bill...no catching, but still fun fishing...like Bill reported I met up with him after throwing my cast net at the camp store docks- had several small spot and a dozen big river minnows for live bait in my bait tank to fish with...I had 70 pounds of frozen chum and three pounds of fresh spot I bought at the Tackle Box in Lexington Park- I had six big menhaden for chunking...headed out to meet Bill, who was fishing the Rip Rap at the jetty- I threw a XRap XR8 in bunker color and headed his way- at the rocks the XRap got a big hit that jerked the rod out of the holder but I grabbed it before it got wet...missed opportunity, but that was Friday- As reported I found the rock piles at the lighthouse area in Cornfield Harbor- I marked fish at the edges but nothing over the top of the piles...it was a beautiful day, too nice to catch fish...took the course to the NOAA buoy as it was the best depth in the area with a steep drop off from 20 to forty-five feet...anchored up in 27 feet of water and let the chum head to the deeper waters...Bill joined me and we fished for an hour with nothing- moved to the Forty five feet depth and fished two hours- Bill jigged up a short striper and we decided to call it a day and head in- trolled back to the inlet and loaded up for the trip home- the live bait was still frisky when I dumped them back at the Camp store launch- love my bait tank!
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

You guys gave it a strong effort. Some days you just cannot get the fish to cooperate. Better luck next time.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You guys really made strong effort.

Hey, maybe you guys went a bit early. I just saw a report on Pier and Surf. Croakers and stripers were caught yesterday off the PLO pier. Maybe now is the time.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Great try guys. I would have joined you if I was not out of town. I am back now and will be at the Meet and Greet. I took friday off, so I will make a test run at some crabs at Solomon to see if they are there on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            You guys really made strong effort.

Hey, maybe you guys went a bit early. I just saw a report on Pier and Surf. Croakers and stripers were caught yesterday off the PLO pier. Maybe now is the time.
            Phooey! That's always the way it goes.

I forgot to mention that the water was super clear. I could see my lure down 5 or 6 feet. It was cool to see the second striper I caught come up fighting. Lots of head shakes and gill flaring. I wish I had an underwater video going.

Good luck on Friday Martin. Where are you launching from? I think I'm gonna miss this M&G, unfortunately. I've been wanting to check out Herring Bay for a while now.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
            X