Hog Point Tues 5/8/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hog Point Tues 5/8/12

Did some shore fishing and had my lines touch water after 3 pm. Had three surf rods out, each with a tandem rig. Each rig had some combo of menhaden, bws, shrimp, and squid. Target was striper and croaker. Nothing. Lots of small nibbles, from small bait stealers.

Caught a small minnow of some sort off my light tackle rod with bws. It was over 3" long, silver and slender. I don't know what it was, but I hooked the back and threw it out as bait. Nothing.

I did catch the small minnow, so, was I skunked?
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice looking place, I love fishing jetties. Sealine X 30SHA in the 2nd pic?

Comment

That's exactly where I fished last thursday....but you gotta wait until 8pm or so for the bite to start! The croakers come shallow from the deep to feed. To my best knowledge, daytime croakers can only be caught from deep holes from a boat.
      Green Old Town Loon 111
      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

It's an X20SHA.

I was actually targeting stripers, and "testing" for croakers. I fished almost till 9 pm. I heard stripers and croakers were caught off PLO pier a couple miles south, so I figured they would move up to the Pax.

Comment

As for whether or not you were skunked.....if what you catch is better bait than tablefare.....doesn't count!
          Keep trying though!!!!
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I disagree. If you encountered a fish that you didn't bring with you, then you weren't skunked. Hell, if I get a fish to the boat, and it jumps off the hook before I lay hands on it, I count it as long as I got a good look at what it was and its length.

Surprisingly, I've caught croakers in the day time in shallow water on the Drum Point side and by Solomons. They probably do bite better at night, but it can be done. I'm not sure what drives the croaker bite, but I've caught my biggest ones around a full moon. I've also caught plenty of spot (keepers and live-lining size) in as little as 2ft of water, even during the day, which is a little secret I try to keep from the power boaters.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
              I disagree. If you encountered a fish that you didn't bring with you, then you weren't skunked. Hell, if I get a fish to the boat, and it jumps off the hook before I lay hands on it, I count it as long as I got a good look at what it was and its length.
              I agree with Bill. If you hook something other than what you put on as bait, then you caught a fish. It all depends on how you define a skunk -- no fish at all, or no fish for the cooler to bring home.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                I agree with Bill. If you hook something other than what you put on as bait, then you caught a fish. It all depends on how you define a skunk -- no fish at all, or no fish for the cooler to bring home.
                LOL...OK I'll concede. Still can't wrap my mind around herring, anchovies, bunker and Killies being "fish"...But I'll concede

Comment

......... you guys are more generous than me ......... if I'm not satisfied with the catch than I'm skunked .......... catching bait doesn't count ..... only targeted fish ........

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                    Surprisingly, I've caught croakers in the day time in shallow water on the Drum Point side and by Solomons. They probably do bite better at night, but it can be done. I'm not sure what drives the croaker bite, but I've caught my biggest ones around a full moon.

My best day of croaker fishing was with Foursteps when we rented a skiff from Bunkys. Daytime...Overcast, threatening to rain. We were throwing back 13" & below.
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thats a tough one haha. I guess for me as long as my hook smells like fish, I didn't get skunked. Skunked, is compeletly not finding fish. No hook sets what so ever.
                      That being said, sorry you didnt catch much. Looks like a nice spot though.
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

How about a skunk definition? Not a clean definition, but it's something.

4 Caught something and did a throw-back (e.g., short of legal size); or lost it during the landing/unhooking
                        3 Caught something, and used it as bait
                        2 Caught something and it came off the hook; could identify
                        1 Caught something and it came off the hook; could not identify
                        0 Caught nothing

Based on that, I got Skunk level 3.

So, maybe levels 3 and 4 are not skunks. Or maybe it's the proudest level of a skunk.
                        Last edited by tufnik; 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                          How about a skunk definition? Not a clean definition, but it's something.

4 Caught something and did a throw-back (e.g., short of legal size); or lost it during the landing/unhooking
                          3 Caught something, and used it as bait
                          2 Caught something and it came off the hook; could identify
                          1 Caught something and it came off the hook; could not identify
                          0 Caught nothing

Based on that, I got Skunk level 3.

So, maybe levels 3 and 4 are not skunks. Or maybe it's the proudest level of a skunk.
                          .01 caught nothing, told buddy I caught a "short" while his back was turned because he was shaming me by catching fish

Comment

Working...
                          X