Landers Launch Upper Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landers Launch Upper Potomac

I wasn't planning on going out today after getting shunked at Mattawoman Creek yesterday. Today was slow and I was starting to wonder if this would be another day out and.....out like Mattawoman.

I recently purchased some lures from Confidence Baits and was eager to try them out. I started out with the Finesse Jig N Craw mini but didn't manage not even a bite. I think it was the fact that I was fishing in deep water so I switch to the Dragon Spinner bait. I stayed in the deeper channels trying to target predatory fish, where the current was swift. I saw a huge rock in the middle of the river and hung my anchor over the north face side. I was good position and parallel to the rock to fish a deep hole north of the rock.

I was using a Dragon Spinner bait 3/8 ounce Black W Blue Fleck. It was originally designed for Smallies but during R&D and while on it's first test it caught a Walleye on it's first cast. I'd purchased this particular lure with notion that for all intended purposes, it's creation was heavenly intersected. Great lure, I ordered six more and she doesn't know....pray for me, seriously.

You know, I spend an substantial amount (college fund amount) of money on my habit....I was going to say hobbies but I'm in recovery so I know better... However let me tell you it's a good feeling when you buy a lure and you have something to justify the expense, not to me....it's all for her, remember I'm in recovery here. It will be a special fish fry for her, on her Mother's Day. I got the card the bath and body lotions, dude I'm covered. Somehow I manage to habituate my habits and my life in one...life is good! For now......
    Attached Files
    Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
    Stealth Green Tarpon 140
    Orange Koho Perception

Tasty fish! Nice catch- Mattawoman gets a lot of pressure- the fish see every lure made by man at least once- but it is a very productive stream once you figure it out- there are a few "can't miss" places that I can always depend on to keep the skunk off my yak- if you get desperate take a BKD and smear some "smelly jelly" on it and jig it in the channel for blue catfish- can't miss-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great Walleye

You were fishing at a great spot on the Upper Potomac. You can catch smallmouths, catfish, sunfish, walleyes, and musky there. It's a beautiful place . I love fishing the Upper Potomac for smallies.

Keep going to Mattawoman and you WILL be rewarded.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your luck at Mattawoman on Friday, but you did make up for with that Walleye. Great catch and it was nice meeting you and your friends on Friday.
        WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

I'm not giving up at Mattawoman yet. My goal is to catch a Snakehead and maybe taste one. I'm sure that day will come, so I'll be back.

Dave, next time I'm down we'll have to hook up.

I live ten minutes from Landers, if anyone is interested lets hook up. As Dan mentioned it's a great place to fish for smallmouth and many other species. However the current is swift and can be a challenge for even an experience kayak-er. If you like paddling up class I & II rapids and don't mind the workout to get to a fishing hole then come up and enjoy the adventure.
          Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
          Stealth Green Tarpon 140
          Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Nice catch! Thanks for sharing, Luke.
            Sun Fishin'

Comment

Good report. I'd like to check out that section of the Potomac some day. My folks live relatively close to there, but I've never fished it.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice walleye Loupa! Another fish I've yet to catch. Gotta remember to watch out for those teeth... Eat it yet?
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

nice walleye there loupa. Im glad you got something after friday. you need to show me how to get one of them!
                  Robby
                  2014 Hobie Revo 13
                  12' Camo F&S SOT "Dirty Floater"

Comment

Working...
                  X