Mattawoman 5/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 5/12

I've been working like a dog... haven't been able to get out... missed the M&G on Saturday but managed to get some time on the Mattawoman in the afternoon. Caught lots of fish.

My biggest regret of the day: catching a 30" Gar (est.) and not being able to land it. That thing looked like a vicious dinosaur with lots of sharp teeth. I had it boatside for a while, but I couldn't figure out how to grab it. It eventually broke off. Second biggest regret is having my floating frog blown up several times by what must have been snakeheads, but not being able to connect.

Most fish were caught on a little Mepps spinner. Some of the cats on nightcrawlers and fallfish.

Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Wow looks like a great day! Cool way to show all of your pics in one post. Is the fallfish the one in the bottom right? I think that might be a golden shiner, some people call them mill roach... good cat bait or even big bass or possibly snakehead bait.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice work and nice collage Chex!!

Comment

Thanks. I had to update my collage because I had a duplicate pic in there, making it look like I caught more fish... honest mistake

That's definitely a golden shiner. The fallfish is what I was using for bait... and btw Shady, I took you advice of adding a tandem treble hook to the large bait and it worked! Wasn't a huge one, but I got him!
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
          Thanks. I had to update my collage because I had a duplicate pic in there, making it look like I caught more fish... honest mistake

That's definitely a golden shiner. The fallfish is what I was using for bait... and btw Shady, I took you advice of adding a tandem treble hook to the large bait and it worked! Wasn't a huge one, but I got him!
          Sorry I missread your post... Did you use the golden shiner for bait? Glad my advice worked for you!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
            Did you use the golden shiner for bait?
            Nah, I was done catfishing by the time I caught him. After catching a good 5 cats, I was after panfish and snakehead... but I did catch several more cats nonetheless on the spinner/ultralight rod... good pullage.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Hey, nice catches. The icing on the cake would have been that gar.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice work, Mike- blowups on the frogs are most likely snakeheads-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice report! Thanks for sharing the pics =)
                  Sun Fishin'

Comment

Working like a dog paid off, good work and a creative display too.
                    Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
                    Stealth Green Tarpon 140
                    Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Nice work, Mike, and cool collage. As far as the gar goes, I wouldn't recommend grabbing them without gloves. The few I've picked up had really sharp scales that left pointy bits in my hands. Their mouths are super bony, so it can be hard to set the hook so that it sticks.
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        As far as the gar goes, I wouldn't recommend grabbing them without gloves. The few I've picked up had really sharp scales that left pointy bits in my hands. Their mouths are super bony, so it can be hard to set the hook so that it sticks.
                        Thanks for the tip. I didn't even think about the scales... I was worried about those teeth! I'll bring gloves or a net next time. I really want to look at one of those creatures up close.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Gar meat is OK- my Dad used an ice creamer scooper to take the meat out of the area next to the spine on both sides like the blackstrap on a deer or the tenderloin on a hog. The gar we caught in Arkansas were really big fish
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Gar meat is OK- my Dad used an ice creamer scooper to take the meat out of the area next to the spine on both sides like the blackstrap on a deer or the tenderloin on a hog. The gar we caught in Arkansas were really big fish
                            I was wondering about that... good to know... if i ever land one, I'll take a picture, tell it its ugly and outdated body is mean looking, and throw it back!
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X