Short and sweet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short and sweet...

Finally got out a little earlier this week. Enjoyed an easy 1/2 hr paddle to my favorite spot to get in a little bottom fishing.
    Set the hook, baited and heaved my first line, and was rigging the second when drag started singing!

Cut the anchor loose, got situated, and soon I was literally shaking because I was certain, based on the bend in my rod, that I was about to beat my personal best from the kayak!

It was a bittersweet catch.
    Because, I didn't break my record, and my fishing trip was essentially over with the first hookup, but...
    My spot is still a producer, and I doubled w/in 5 minutes of wetting a line!
    (21" & 29")
    Drifted a little while as I sipped a frosty beveridge and enjoyed the moment, then eased on home and commenced to cooking and demolishing the Rocko Tacos!!
    Life is good...

nice! all i got today was 2 mini croakers

Comment

Don't know if it helps, but I found them near a submerged rockpile off a point at the mouth of the river. I put my bait right in the muddy/clean water tideline..

Comment

That's a nice double. If you add both fish together, does it beat your personal best?
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the new perspective!
          A 50" total on one rig (regular top & bottom) does surpass my personal best from the yak of 36"!!

Comment

wow - really nice double. i've only doubled small rock (stingsilver and dropper fly). have to imagine 2 good ones are a handful. congrats on a really nice catch!

Comment

Kaya king, what boat is that? I see the camo waders and the boat looks like a duck rig.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by kaya king View Post
                Finally got out a little earlier this week. Enjoyed an easy 1/2 hr paddle to my favorite spot to get in a little bottom fishing.
                Set the hook, baited and heaved my first line, and was rigging the second when drag started singing!

Cut the anchor loose, got situated, and soon I was literally shaking because I was certain, based on the bend in my rod, that I was about to beat my personal best from the kayak!

It was a bittersweet catch.
                Because, I didn't break my record, and my fishing trip was essentially over with the first hookup, but...
                My spot is still a producer, and I doubled w/in 5 minutes of wetting a line!
                (21" & 29")
                Drifted a little while as I sipped a frosty beveridge and enjoyed the moment, then eased on home and commenced to cooking and demolishing the Rocko Tacos!!
                Life is good...

Very nice! I got a 25 1/2" on BB Thurs but couldn't double
                2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                  Kaya king, what boat is that? I see the camo waders and the boat looks like a duck rig.
                  It's an Old Town Loon 160t. I took the front seat out. One of the reasons I chose it is because it has no bulkheads. Completely open bow to stern, so I can carry alot. I do duckhunt out of it, camp, etc.
                  Had it for probably close to 15 years now.. Love it.

Comment

Nice job on the double!

Man, I hope you caught those two on that big surf pole of yours. I couldn't imagine latching onto two rocks that size on my light tackle stuff.

Regards,

John
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                    X