Flats...muddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats...muddy

Met up with Chexone at Tydings for a 5:30 launch just as the sun was showing. The water was very muddy as expected and visibility was only about 12-18" I'd say. I wanted to try some top water but the gates were also open making for a swift current. Regardless, we headed toward one of my favorite spots and as I was getting there my rod got hit. It was a good fish but got off. It wasn't long after Chexone got a nice 26 incher. As I was getting closer to check out his fish, my rod started ripping line so I grabbed it and set the hook....at which point my 20# braid gave way. I couldn't believe it. I missed 2 fish but fortunately Chexone didn't miss his.

I started heading south while Mike stayed in that spot. I worked a little more and finally had a nice rock on the line. I pulled up a 26 incher myself, right in front of a boater. I dunno why it's so appealing to me, but it is It sounded like Mike caught a couple more, mentioning a 28" And I managed another 22" But we had to work really hard for them. It wasn't like it was a few weeks ago. For another few hours we didn't get anything.

Dsmera met up with me and we fished around in a different spot but the water was looking worse so I called it a day. Dave got a 19" but it flopped in the water as he was getting his cooler, doh On the way back I happened to get a 25".

It seems weird to be disappointed a little because we did catch some nice fish, but the conditions up there are not very good. It seemed that most of the boaters up there got skunked. At any rate, you can catch some fish if you know where to look but even still, visibility is so poor that you have to hit 'em in the mouth with it

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Good job on th fish. Were you trolling, or jigging? What did the lures look like that were successful?

Comment

I caught my 3 fish in the exact same spot. 3 passes, 3 fish. And then nothing for the rest of the time. Burned a lot of calories. But wow, some very nice fish still in the area. I managed a 26" keeper, then a 22" and a 28". I'm happy
      Attached Files
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
        Good job on th fish. Were you trolling, or jigging? What did the lures look like that were successful?
        Jigging is a little slow for me and I've never caught a lot of rockfish that way...I just don't think I'm very good at it yet. I try to cover as much water as possible. 3-6" crankbaits were my choice.

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

A tip of the hat to both of you. Although you both caught very nice fish I'm sure the murky/muddy water certainly limited your catch. Had the the water been a lot clearer, say 4', I bet you would have done a lot better.

Did you see any marks on your FF that might have been schools of nice white perch? I love wperch, excellent frying fish.

I'm looking at a trip to the Flats early/mid next week, all depending on wind and rain.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
            Did you see any marks on your FF that might have been schools of nice white perch? I love wperch, excellent frying fish.
            I did not see any, and briefly fished a little spinner on my way back in, near shore, but no bite.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

The CBIBS buoy near Havre de Grace is showing a significant drop in turbidity starting around noon today. So maybe the water is getting clearer fairly fast.

Also, all the flood gates were close about 36 hours ago but all their generators are still working full bore. I'm guessing Conowingo will start cutting back on generation maybe by late on Sunday. Just guessing though.
              Howard

Comment

I didn't see any marks that could be white perch either. I've never fished white perch on the susky and I wouldn't exactly know where to target them.

It is funny that you mention noon, because after awhile of nothing, both Dave and I caught fish at separate locations at that time. Although, it looked worse.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I forgot to mention...The fish that I brought home had a funny thing in its side. It looked a little like a wound, but something was sticking out of it. It was definitely man made. I cut it out and realized it was actually a tagged fish, but the flag must have come off, leaving just a short stem and the anchor. Bummer, maybe I got diamond jim! I never caught a tagged fish before.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I had 4 rock by noon before calling it a day. The water was very murky just like Yak Fish said but didn't seem to matter as much, could have been better but we still had good pullage. Caught a 8", 12", 14" and a 19.5 that flopped out of my yak as I was getting situated, probably won't be the last time but oh well. Returning next weekend if weather permitting. All fish caught paddle trolling on xraps.

Found it funny this little rock would hit on a lure not much bigger than him
                    Dave
                    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

I'm thinking of fishing the Flats early Wednesday morning (5-23-12). I'll be launching from Tydings around 7:00am or later. I'll be fishing soft plastics from a green 16' Oldtown canoe with trolling motor on the side. Should be fairly light winds until mid-afternoon. Oughta be a good day from a weather standpoint. I'll see if the stripers are still there. Come on over if you see me out there.
                      Howard

Comment

I'm thinking of fishing the Flats early Wednesday morning (5-23-12). I'll be launching from Tydings around 7:00am or later. I'll be fishing soft plastics from a green 16' Oldtown canoe with trolling motor on the side. Should be fairly light winds until mid-afternoon. Oughta be a good day from a weather standpoint. I'll see if the stripers are still there. Come on over if you see me out there.
                        It'd be nice to fish during the week but I'll be here in the office wishing I were. Good luck and let us know how you do

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

HJS, did you go out today?
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback

Comment

Mike - Just posted a report.
                            Howard

Comment

Working...
                            X