Mattawoman Creek 5/20/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Creek 5/20/2012

After long deliberation, I decided to head down to Mattawoman Creek, since I had to be back home in time to go somewhere by 2:00pm. Don (Shield) and Keith (Wingman) wanted to go somewhere where there would be a high probability of catching some fish. The winds all over the area were predicted to be 9 to 15 mph, but at Mattawoman the winds were non existent and the water was like glass with the morning mist rising off of it. The temperature would reach 75 degrees with a sunny morning turning partly cloudy by midday. Armed with salted herring, raw shrimp, and a left over assortment of worms, along with spinners and plastics, I met Don and Keith at Mattingly (Slavins) Ramp at 6:20am. We launched and headed up river fishing artificial's along the way. My fish finder was registering allot of fish, but none of them wanted the artificial's. I saw an Crane standing in the water along the shoreline and witness him grabbing a large fish out of the water. It looked like a shad, silver in color about 10 to 12 inches. He ate it whole. We made it up to our usual spot near the islands and we anchored up. I landed the first three fish at that time. I am not sure of the species of catfish, but one was a blue cat, another was channel, and then the other may have been a flathead. Man, where is Bill when I need him. Don caught the next cat. Keith even caught several cats. I ended up with 9 catfish on a top and bottom rig. The hot bait was raw shrimp. Using a 1/8 ounce jig head and a chartreuse curly tail 2 inch bait, I landed a 14 inch largemouth bass near the sunken barge in 2 feet of water. The wildlife was amazing today. I saw several muskrats and at least 5 water snakes. I even saw some birds that looked a Red Winged Blackbird.

I went up into a creek and tossed a black frog into the weeds and lilly pads, but came up empty. I was hoping to see a snakehead but it alluded me. It was a great morning and no one was skunked.
    Attached Files

Nice! Glad you got some pullage.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice report. Glad you guys got some fish. Next time, it'll be SHs.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        Nice report. Glad you guys got some fish. Next time, it'll be SHs.
        For an invasive species, this fish gets a lot of fishing pressure- more than the catfish- which speaking of- I cooked my last bag of filets this weekend- everybody loves the taste of my fried catfish, ranch cut french fries, home made hush puppies and coldslaw...time to replenish the freezer-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Sounds like you need to cook some of that for us at a meet and greet

Comment

How far upstream are the islands from Slavins?
            Jeff B
            Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

About a 10-15 minute paddle to the left of the ramp upstream.

Comment

Okay thanks...i'll have to check that spot out next time I go to Mattawoman. I went about 1/4 mile up from that old dock and fished that straight stretch before the bend.
                Jeff B

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  For an invasive species, this fish gets a lot of fishing pressure- more than the catfish- which speaking of- I cooked my last bag of filets this weekend- everybody loves the taste of my fried catfish, ranch cut french fries, home made hush puppies and coldslaw...time to replenish the freezer-
                  Replenish? Is it Bushwood time again?
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

filling up the freezer

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    Replenish? Is it Bushwood time again?
                    I usually fish a deep drop off just outside of Cobb Island where the water steeply drops from 4-5 feet to 30 feet for croakers and catfish, but Mattawoman has been so predictable and productive that I almost always fish for blue cats there. I can get a nice mess of catfish in a couple of hours at Mattawoman and it is ten miles closer to home.

Comment

Ron, my daughter has been beating me for fish for the pan. If you head out on the weekend let me know.
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Martin- I try to avoid fishing on holidays due to congestion at launches, boat traffic, etc. plus it gives me time with the family at the BarB Q cooker- My hunting partner is feeling like I have abandoned him so I told him we would go shoot some groundhogs in southern PA Saturday- I am flying to the west coast next week for a week- plan on carrying my Chark Bite travel rod and catching a few salmon while I am there- so it will be a while before I get back on the kayak- but when I do get back I am thinking that fishing at night on the Mattawoman Creek could be extremely productive for the bigger cats....and you could get a lot of smaller eating fish as the catfish bite really turns on at night. Figure a couple of us could catch several dozen catfish- enough even for a big MKF Fish Fry at the Tournament this year if we wanted to-

Comment

Depending upon when you plan to do a night trip, I'd be up for joining a few guys for some night time catfishing. Have fished plenty of times at night from my boat but never a kayak. Actually been considering a trip to the Narrows for some hot striper action. Just cannot recall when I've done well there. I thought it was getting close to the times I've had lots of action there at night.
                          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I was able to make it out to Mattawoman this afternoon for a couple of hours and headed up towards the islands you were talking about. I was using a chartreuse spinner bait and a green frog and didn't catch anything. Looks like a nice spot though by that sunken barge.

On the way back to the landing i stopped by that small dock and threw a small spinner bait in there. I noticed a long black fin right up near the shore and decided to check it out. To my surprise, it was a 2-3 ft long snakehead splashing around near the shore. I tossed my small spinner bait and hooked it and it took off, not sure where or how i hooked it but it jumped out of the water and shook off the hook. It was massive. A couple other boaters saw the splashing and jumping and quickly hurried over to my spot to check out what was going on.

Almost had my first SH!
                            Last edited by beerums; 05-22-2012, 05:07 PM.
                            Jeff B

Comment

Nice attempt at the SH. You made it closer to catching one than me. At Mattawoman, it is loaded with Catfish, so if you want some pullage, then bring a top bottom rig and bait it with raw shrimp or nightcrawlers. Toss it into the channel near the island or barge and you will catch a variety of catfish.

Comment

Working...
                              X