Made lemonade out of lemons today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made lemonade out of lemons today

I decided to take out my Scout center console boat for its first voyage of the year. I picked up bait at Anglers, and launched at Sandy Pt about 4:00 pm. The ?@#$ motor would not start. It had been professionally winterized by a good mechanic, but even after 15 mins of cranking and checking to make sure the fuel connections, spark plugs, and kill switch were in place, it showed no signs of firing. I gave up and came home.

After a quick dinner, I loaded my kayak and returned to Weems Creek to relax a bit. From 6:30 until dusk, I worked the outer section of Weems. Most of that water was cleaner than I observed in the upper half of Weems the previous day.

My first fish was a chunky 10" perch that looked even bigger than that until I laid it on the Hawg Trough (I was thinking maybe 12"). I caught a few more smaller perch casting, then tried some ULTT (ultralight tackle trolling) at the mouth of the creek. There were small rockfish all over the place. I probably caught 20 of them while trolling small lures on 3 ultralight rods. Just before returning to the ramp, I visited a promising spot that produced no bites yesterday morning. Tonight, I caught 2 perch and a pickerel in less than 5 mins.

I am still disappointed about the motor, but the evening trip proved to be enjoyable and a good distraction.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Sorry to hear about the boat troubles, but glad to hear about the good fishing. It's only going to get better as the summer progresses.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
    X