Bb 5/29/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bb 5/29/12

Fished the eastern shore side from 7-11am. Wasn't too bad when I got there but wind started to pick up more steady as I was heading out. Started on the south bridge near 49 piling. Waves/whitecaps/swells started to break almost over the side of the kayak bc the wind would blow me sideways as I would jig. Tried that bridge for only about 30 mins than decided to see if the North bride side was a bit better.. It was bc the waves were being knocked down by the bridges. Current started to pick up and my drift was a bit faster than what I like to get to the bottom so I switched to larger jig head... I think it's 2oz might have been 1.5oz. Third drift and I hooked something that wanted to stay by the bridge. I managed to get it turned as I drifted North away from the pilings... Than it turned again and headed for the bridge than snap. It broke my 20 pound leader. Tied up again and about 4 drifts later fish on again. I managed to keep this one away from the bridge but it was a nice long fight.... Almost spooled me and as I was at least 300 yards north of the bridge and 10/15 mins later it surfaced.... Darn 5foot skate. Ended up cutting my line. I had the gopro on I will have to check to see if the footage showed up. Went back to the same spot and managed 3 small shorts about 15 inch. Tide and wind started to really move together and paddling back to the bridge was a real pain to go against..... Very slow. the water started to really bounce so I headed back in. There were 2 other guys from here that were also out. Sorry forgot there names but the caught a few also.

Spacebound and I were also out there...waaaay too windy to work those bridges, as he said. We caught 12 stripers (smalls mostly) and 1 toad before the wind and waves got psychotic. This dude has my respect though battling the elements with a paddle; made us hobie schmucks look weak..

Comment

With the higher water temp, the cow nose rays are coming back to town.

As much as I dislike losing braid, when I feel that skate drag, I cut the line. I only use 10 pound test and feel that the line gets stressed all to hell dragging those in for one thing and I don't want to waste good fishing time on them. I always have spare spools on board so it wouldn't be a big deal to change.

Some folks say this will be a big skate year as the water warmed early and the salt content is high because we had no big spring run off. I hope their prediction is as good as the weather man's!

Regards,

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I hooked up with one the other day on my ultralight rod with 6lb braid on it and a 20lb leader. It seriously took me 30 min to get it close enough to get the pliers out and pull it out. Funny thing was that it bit a Rapala diving minnow. Never would have thought that would happen... It was a fun ride and I the only reason I didnt cut the line was I wanted to see how serious a fight it would be one the yak. It was a learning experience.
        Keith
        2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Unfortunately I had no video.... As I turned it on I must have changed the setting and all I got was a photo. It was pretty cool fighting the skate. 10 pound test but I don't let my reals drag do most of the work. I usually have it set light enough and thumb the spool when I need tension. Allows me to give the fish line when needed and tighten down to turn it until they tire. I got pulled around and my arms were killing me.. So far one of the best fights on a light tackle n kayak. Just disappointed when it wasn't what I was fishing for... However I wouldn't mind catching a few here and there when I'm not catching 30 inch rock.

Comment

Best fishing I have had at the bridge is when the current is moving hard and the water is rough... However with the wind n current going in the same direction it was very slow getting back in position for another drift. It's nice to have that water like glass but it was always slow slow fishing... The big boys turn on when that current starts to move and that water gets choppy.. They usually school up tight to the pilings waiting for their meal to be swept by.

Comment

Working...
            X