Becoming Addicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming Addicted

Well I took the Dirigo and went fishing Sat Sun and Mon this weekend. I threw #1 Gold Blade Mepps spinners to WP up to 13" each morning.
    My wife bought this boat over a year ago so I could go with her in her Yak. I wont go into why it took me so long to get hooked but I am. I have crabbed and fished Maryland all my life and am no rookie but this opens a whole new world of angling. Go anywhere, see anything and on and on.

Please help me with good places for buying Kayaks and accessories, installing the accessories, etc. for newbie Kayakers in the Annapolis Area.

Is there a support group for Kayak Fishing junkies? Ill need that number.

More to come, I just wanted to say hi and share a few pics.
    Attached Files

congrats and welcome to the support group! there is backyard boats and even west marine in eastport have a few yaks. a few other ones within 20+ minutes of annapolis depending on the manufacturer youre interested in, including kent island kayaks and easton kayak who are catering to fishing.
    sigpic

Comment

Welcome aboard.
      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Ok folks, thanks for the welcome.

Comment

group

This is an enabling group..... use with caution!
          2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Same here, fished the bay all my life. I have had several boats. However, nothing like kayak fishing. It is addictive. It brings out the inner child. Welcome to the addiction.

By the way, you have found the support group.

Comment

ask the questions and they will be answered.......many times
              going out sunday morning early on the severn

Comment

One ? comes to mind and that is what night lighting are we required to have? I plan to hit the water again Sat afternoon evening and again Sunday around the tide schedule.
                Thanks for helping me through this difficult time in my life and to cope with my addiction. I am not shaking as bad at the office now but the longing for another venture out is overwhelming. I was going to go last evening but things didnt work out.
                Next little project is an anchor dolly. Have not used an anchor yet where I am yaking but the need will arise I know. I saw those flip out fluke anchors at Edgewater Kmart a while back and now I understand who uses them. I have a few of those 5lb navy anchors but that may be too much.

Thanks all!

Comment

Lights

Originally posted by Alwaysyakin View Post
                  One ? comes to mind and that is what night lighting are we required to have? I plan to hit the water again Sat afternoon evening and again Sunday around the tide schedule.
                  Thanks for helping me through this difficult time in my life and to cope with my addiction. I am not shaking as bad at the office now but the longing for another venture out is overwhelming. I was going to go last evening but things didnt work out.
                  Next little project is an anchor dolly. Have not used an anchor yet where I am yaking but the need will arise I know. I saw those flip out fluke anchors at Edgewater Kmart a while back and now I understand who uses them. I have a few of those 5lb navy anchors but that may be too much.

Thanks all!
                  http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/p...ionvessels.pdf

Page 16-17 fig 3.....

My understanding is that under sail or oar for kayak under 7m the white light on your safety flag, get one if you don't have it already, will do. However, I would strongly suggest the red/blue bow light in addition to the white stern light. They have clamp on batt powered ones or you can go the wired route.

Anyone have a different understanding?
                  2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

White 360 light and another light for signaling is usually what I carry. Visipole, headlamp, and another bright light just in case. I also put solas tape on my kayak and paddle. It works well.

I disagree with the red/green running lights. Boats will think you are another boat, under power, and capable of maneuvering out of their way. If you have a motor it is another story and you should get the lights.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Anyone else?

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                      White 360 light and another light for signaling is usually what I carry. Visipole, headlamp, and another bright light just in case. I also put solas tape on my kayak and paddle. It works well.

I disagree with the red/green running lights. Boats will think you are another boat, under power, and capable of maneuvering out of their way. If you have a motor it is another story and you should get the lights.
                      I see what your saying but when I read the guidelines it seems they encourage the red/green/wht (white only when anchored). I have yet to be out at dark in my kayak; only in a power boat. I was also wondering what most people do.
                      2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Reply to light at night

The 360 light I get. The red/green bow light I understand for motorized boats.

I plan to be stealthy at night and stay out of the main stems of any waterways. I am a skinny water guy right now.

Anchor trolley should not be a big D.

Thanks,

Dave Burch, DB

Comment

Working...
                        X