Weems Creek perch and a surprise catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek perch and a surprise catch

I have fished Weems Creek several times over the past two weeks. Each time I try, I find perch in more of the usual summer spots. It is good to have them back in position for some fun catching.

I launched from the Tucker St. ramp at 7:30 this morning to high water levels and fairly calm conditions. I spent three hours fishing the upstream half of the creek. However, the wind strengthened throughout the next 3 hours so that I had plenty of trouble keeping the kayak where I wanted to be for casting. I picked up a few perch in about 6 different spots.

Then I headed to one of my preferred stretches of shoreline. I proceeded to have a fabulous 20 minutes, during which I caught about 10 perch, two pickerel (15" and 20"), and one big surprise (a 24" catfish). It took a Strike King MicroKing 1/16-oz spinnerbait in sun perch color.

Why was that stretch of shoreline so good today? One big reason is the nature of the habitat. You may recall my post last Feb when I paddled around on a very low water level and took some photos of the habitat. Two of the photos below show the network of branches, roots, and other cover in a sheltered area that drops off. Today almost none of that wood was visible to me, but the fish enjoyed it.

The same MicroKing lure was the top producer for perch today too. However, the two pickerel hit other lures -- the larger one hit a gold spinner arm, 1/8-oz jighead with 2" black paddletail minnow with a chartreuse tail. The smaller one hit a 1/16-oz green spinnerbait made by MKF member Bignose.

Weems Creek has been my home waters for the past decade. I suspect I have fished Weems more than 100 trips over that time. I have never caught a catfish there or any other Severn spot either. I have not heard many reports of cats in the Severn.

Weems has shown abundant small schools of bait recently. I found a few of the baitfish and took a photo. They are small menhaden (what I refer to as peanut bunker) about 2" long. Last year in early June they were abundant until mid-June, then they disappeared to be replaced by small slender silversides. I had to switch to lures with slender profiles to get bites.

As I paddled back to the ramp, I looked in the water next to me and saw a very young needlefish (about 2" long and not much bigger in diameter than a pipe cleaner). Awesome.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great report! I can't wait until I have a chance to make it out there again...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for your usual fine report!

I had planned on taking my center console out today, but my plans kinda got blown away.
      I got in about 10 casts at a local pond and decided to pack it in. We have a charter tomorrow on the big boat, and if the wind is as bad as it was today, we may end up light tackle trolling in the Severn, just to avoid the 3 footers.

I'm glad to see the fish are moving into the summer hiding places, and the the pickerel are still biting. How was the water color and clarity?

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
        How was the water color and clarity?
        The water remains brown, but the clarity improved somewhat. I could see down into the water 1-2 ft, which is better than last week.

I took advantage of the high water and paddled all the way to the head end of the creek where two feeder streams enter Weems. It is shallow with a soft bottom up there. I saw no evidence of bait or larger fish up there.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report John,
          I gonna get up in there soon.
          GB

Comment

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
            Thanks for the report John,
            I gonna get up in there soon.
            GB
            GB - Yesterday's hot spot was the same location where I fished with you last summer.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report John as usual. I know there are some cats in the severn. I caught a big 24 inch cat off of Jonas green in the late 90's when I started fishing the area. I know SurfDog caught several cats near the Navy Base on the Severn last year.

Comment

What a difference a day makes. I fished Weems Creek again on Tues afternoon. I fished primarily in the outer half of the creek. I was able to find perch at many locations along the southern shoreline in the shallow areas. I trolled around the mouth and back along the northern shoreline with very little action. I did catch 3 small stripers (one put up so little fight that I did not realize I had a fish on the line until I decided to bring in the lines).

I returned to the same section of creek where I had done so well the day before. Instead of a fast and furious 20 minutes (like on Monday), I spent 20 minutes with only a single fish (8" perch).

I can report that I saw a ship dropping oyster shell over a large area in the Severn near the mouth of Weems Creek up to the Rt 50 bridge. That should provide good habitat for prey items that will attract predators.
                Attached Files
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Thanks John,
                  Might get out on Friday.
                  Thats good new about the oyster shell near the creek mouth..
                  GB

Comment

John,
                    I fished Weems on Tuesday morning with mixed success. I started in the lower section below the bridges and got nothing. Then headed above the bridges to some areas where I had success with the pickerel over the winter. I caught a small rockfish,~6", and then found a spot where i had a white perch hit or hookup on every cast. That only lasted for 10-15 minutes. On my way back, I decided to try a few casts close to the ramp. I caught a feisty 12 1/2" perch to end the day.
                    Attached Files
                    Hobie PA 12

Comment

Way to go on the big perch. You are only half an inch off from trophy size.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

nice perch!

Comment

I should have closed his mouth and squeezed his tail!
                          Hobie PA 12

Comment

Working...
                          X