Bushwood Cove Sun 6/3/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushwood Cove Sun 6/3/12

Was waiting for moc to start the thread, but I'll do it.

Nice sunny day. Light to medium winds. Chops up to about a foot. Was on the water at Bushwood Cove at 0730 hrs. Anxious to catch blue catfish. Brought shrimp, squid and nightcrawlers.

So, where the heck were the cats? That's right, I caught none.

I caught a lot of small croakers. They preferred the nightcrawlers. None touched the squid. Something ate the shrimp, but I caught nothing on that hook.

I also caught two WP, one on nightcrawlers and the other on a jig with white twister tail. Largest WP was 8".

The highlight of the day was when I caught a nice looking striper on the twister tail. It was really nice to catch and see it. I enjoyed the "fight." On the down side, it was only 8"....lol....

Oh, saw moc and his friend, Pete, in an electric canoe. Nice meeting newbie, kitkatyaker. You have some set-up with the Hobie PA and trailer.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Sorry to hear no keepers Tufnik.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      Was waiting for moc to start the thread, but I'll do it.

Nice sunny day. Light to medium winds. Chops up to about a foot. Was on the water at Bushwood Cove at 0730 hrs. Anxious to catch blue catfish. Brought shrimp, squid and nightcrawlers.

So, where the heck were the cats? That's right, I caught none.

I caught a lot of small croakers. They preferred the nightcrawlers. None touched the squid. Something ate the shrimp, but I caught nothing on that hook.

I also caught two WP, one on nightcrawlers and the other on a jig with white twister tail. Largest WP was 8".

The highlight of the day was when I caught a nice looking striper on the twister tail. It was really nice to catch and see it. I enjoyed the "fight." On the down side, it was only 8"....lol....

Oh, saw moc and his friend, Pete, in an electric canoe. Nice meeting newbie, kitkatyaker. You have some set-up with the Hobie PA and trailer.
      I was tired and whipped with fishing on Saturday for the CCA Tournament and making the drive to Bushwood on Sunday. Here is my report......

I promised to take my buddy Pete out for a day of fishing to makeup for the skunk that he had on our last outing. We wanted to try for blue catfish, search for croakers, and hand line for crabs. The day was turning out great, meteorological wise. The air temperature would hit 80 degrees, winds were light, high tide was at 2:23pm and low tide was at 8:38am. We left my place at 6:45am and got to Bushwood at 8:20am. But on the way down, Pete forgot to ring the bait, so we stopped in a convenience store on the way to Bushwood to pick up bloodworms, night crawlers and shrimp. I had brought some leftover peelers, squid and some shrimp from my last outing. As for crabbing, I could not find my hand lines in my garage so we were going to improvise and use some braided line that Pete brought with him. Well, everything seemed to be in order now.

When we got to Bushwood, we immediately met Kitkatyaker who had a yellow Pro Angler on a trailer. I noticed Tufnik's van parked and could see him in the distance at the end of the cove fishing. We unloaded out boats and headed out to meet Tufnik. When we got to Tufnik, he said that he was fishing for an hour and a half with no bites. Pete and I headed out to a ledge at the end of the cove where the water dropped from 10 feet to 20 feet. We loaded up with blue cats there weeks ago. Unfortunately, not a single catfish was there. We caught dozens of 2 to 4 inch little croakers. We did manage two 12 or 13 inch keeper croakers during the who day. I caught the first one on bloodworms and Pete caught the second one on night crawlers. We made a circle off the Wicomico looking for keeper size fish. All we were catching was were babies. We went into deep water in the channel. We tried around the red channel marker. We tried near a fish trap, but got the same result. We searched the whole area hoping to find fish so we could let Tufnik and Kitkatyaker know, but we had nothing to report. By the end of the day, I caught one keeper croaker, dozens of baby croaker, dozen small white perch, 1 crab, a few 7 to 10 inch rockfish, and to my surprise a 9 inch speckle trout. Hand lining was a failure since the braided line was too light and just got tangled and became a knot ball in the water.

We called it quits at 2:45pm. It was still a beautiful day, and no one got skunked. At least my buddy got a picture with his keeper size croaker. It was just too bad the larger fish were not around. It was great meeting Kitkatyaker and seeing Tufnik again.
      Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps the salinity is too high for the catfish? If you are catching speckled trout that could be the case! I would try around the 301 bridge for catfish, there is a launch at aqualand on the maryland side.
        Green Old Town Loon 111
        Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Working...
        X