Jonas green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas green

Heading out from Jonas green this evening. Anyone want to join? Will post report later tonight.

I am planning to fish in the Severn later today. I will wait until 4:00 or 5:00 to launch. With all the boat traffic in the Severn for most of the afternoon and into the early evening, it will be very bumpy out there on the main river. I am inclined to launch in Weems Creek and fish there or another nearby creek to have calmer conditions.

If you still want to launch at Jonas Green, perhaps we could meet up somewhere.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wish I could make it out with you guys, good luck!

John is a wealth of knowledge for fishing on the Severn. There is a launch at the end of Tucker st that puts you right in Weems creek.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
        John is a wealth of knowledge for fishing on the Severn. There is a launch at the end of Tucker st that puts you right in Weems creek.
        I agree with Shadyfisher Ryker, catch up with John if you can. I might hit Weem's Creek or the river early in the morning before it gets too hot.

Let us know how you do this evening..

GB

Comment

I met Ryker (Edward) at the Tucker St launch ramp about 5:30. I had gotten there earlier to check out some of my spots near the ramp. The first and most obvious thing was a huge amount of bait. I have never seen so many schools of peanut bunker swimming and rippling the surface in Weems or other Severn creeks. It turned out that the perch bite was slow -- maybe there was so much natural food that the perch could afford to be picky. The water was still brown, but had more greenish tint than last week.

It turned out that Edward brought his brand new Hobie kayak (never in the water before) and had to spend some time getting used to the pedal drive. Before long he was good to go. He also brought rods and tackle that were heavier that what I normally use for perch. After getting him rigged up with some smaller spinner lures, we headed out. The bite was quite slow until the sun dropped behind the trees and the air cooled off. I picked up about a dozen perch (to 10.5") and one scrawny 6" striper. Edward eventually got the knack of casting a light lure (a Maryland Tackle 1/16-oz spinner) with a medium weight rod and started pulling in perch. At the end of the trip, I let him try two of my ultralight rods to see how much easier they are for casting light lures. Darned if he didn't catch a perch on his first cast with my rod!

I returned to the ramp about 8:00 while Edward stayed longer for more fishing time. I enjoyed meeting a new kayak angler. Here are a few photos of our new member.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by J.A. Veil; 06-11-2012, 07:55 AM.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

WTG John!
            Nice boat Ryker!
            I'm heading out now,
            launching at Jonas Green..
            GB

Comment

sounds like good trip and nice pics!

Comment

Maiden voyage and no skunk. Sweet
                Pointers from other members. Awesome
                That’s what I like about this forum. I learn something every time I go out with the members.
                2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

You could not have a better instructor than John on the Severn....Nice going...and no one was skunked.

Comment

Ryker it was great to meet you at the Tucker street ramp on your way back in. I was impressed by your speed on the water-you didn't look like a rookie like me. I've got to get a Hobie some day. The bite was on as the tide rolled in and the sun went down.
                    I caught 12 white perch and kept 8 for dinner. Good eating! The best action came on a Worden's Super Rooster Tail #193-Angler's on rt 50 says it's the best for perch and I can't argue with the results.

Comment

John V.

Don't you have to be a West Annapolis resident to park around the Tucker Street ramp? I seem to remember going down there and found signs saying you would be towed if you didn't have a neighborhood sticker or some such.

Where do you guys park when you launch from Tucker Street?

Regards,

John
                      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

If you look closely at the signs they only refer to vehicles with boat trailers. Technically I believe the ramp is only supposed to be for Annapolis residents, but if you are cartop boat launching no one will bother you. The people in the neighborhod have always been very friendly whenever I've launched there. Just park on the street without blocking someone's driveway and you will not have a problem.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Hey I just want to say that I did get out to weems on sunday with John and had a great first trip. I learn alot in very little time. It took me a while getting used to the yak. After a few minutes sorting through what was needed and not I was ok. Thx again John for everything...(lures and techniques). This group is a very great place to be with lots of good people helping each other. Thx again John(weems creek perch hunter).....no skunk loss of gear and no turtle! It was good meeting Woody also on the way back in. See you guys on the water soon. I'm ready to go on Saturday eve -Tuesday's!

Comment

SF85,

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll have to try Tucker Street. It beats launching at Jonas Green to fish Weems Creek.
                            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                              SF85,

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll have to try Tucker Street. It beats launching at Jonas Green to fish Weems Creek.
                              Ryan's explanation matches my interpretation too. The Annapolis police do check all trailers parked anywhere in the West Annapolis vicinity for a city of Annapolis sticker. If you do not have one, you will receive a fine.

However, there is no requirement to display a sticker or any other form of ID for parking a vehicle on Tucker St. It is a great place to launch and it puts you into sheltered water that is fishable on most days. I have launched kayaks there since 2001, and launched a canoe from there before that.

My mailing address in Annapolis, but I do not live within the city limits. Therefore, I cannot obtain a trailer sticker.

You should look at the parking/no parking signs carefully to make sure you are in a legal spot.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                              X