Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River Crabbing...

6/10/12

Jay and I went on a charter trip on Saturday afternoon/night. 11 keeper stripers (3 over 28"), and boated well over 100 croaker. We were worn out, but at the last minute, decided to go crabbing in the morning to top off the weekend.

Running off of just a couple hours sleep, we launched out of Jonas Green around 6-6:30. I set my line in 7' and ran it into 13'. Jay ran traps. Boy was it slow out there this morning. Tide was kinda slack for the duration of our trip...not sure why it never picked up in the 4hrs we spent on the water. Anyways, I ended up with 32 decent crabs. My best run (600' line; chicken necks) yielded 7 keepers. Most other runs were just 1-2 keepers. I wasn't missing any...they just weren't there.

I caught my personal best on this trip as well. A nice 7.25" jumbo!! That made my day.

And here's my modified basket....

I cut the second basket in half, and I covered the top with fiberglass mat material. (The kind you get in the body repair kits from the auto part store.) Since my trotline deploys from this contraption, I needed the top edge to be kinda smooth. The jagged edge of the cut basket would snag my line during deployment.

I wrapped it in black duct tape when it was done drying.

By the way, I didnt bother with the epoxy & resin and sanding, etc. I just used gorilla glue on the thing...more than adequate for my use.

Of course the crabbing would be slow when im prepared to handle a bunch of crabs :
    <insert witty comment here>

Man i want to run with you sometime to learn the in's and out's so i can start emulating your efforts.. All those fresh crabs just looking to good =)

Meadeo
    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

How did you guys do with the traps?
      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

do the crabs die in the basket on a super hot day?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shield View Post
          How did you guys do with the traps?
          Foursteps did well with the traps. It looked like he had a solid 2 dozen or so. I never asked him what his final count was

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
            This was the warmest day I've been out, they were all alive and kicking when we got off the water. On those hot days to come, I will probably bring a wet towel should dieoff become an issue.

But luckily, I tend to go early in the morning. So I hope I wont have to resort to doint that. It would just be one more thing to deal with lol

Comment

look at those tasty critters i think i'll break out my net and necks this sunday

Comment

Looks like you had a "catchin" weekend. Great job the crabs!
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                  They won't die on hot days. Just don't poke at em and turn over the upside down ones and they'll be fine. Put a lid on em and put them in the shade. They'll keep for a few hours.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I did good with the traps. I ended the day with 27 nice crabs. A few JUMBOS in there as well. Traps work great out on the kayak. It helps having the OK Torque going trap to trap. Trotline will be in full effect in two weeks when I vome back from Jamaica

Comment

Working...
                    X