White Perch 06-10-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Perch 06-10-11

Last week archeryrob, my son and I went to a small tributary off of White Hall Bay near Annapolis, MD. for some white perch fishing. We ended up with around 25 perch between all of us. I cleaned and cooked them that night for supper, boy they were tasty ! So this past weekend Rob and I decided to go back for more. Rob got into them right away, I was experimenting with small crank baits with little sucess. I decided to go back to what worked last week. I tied on my Yumbrella Tripod with the white curl tail grubs. In Maryland with umbrella rigs you can only use two hooks per rig. With the Tripod I bent the middle wire up and the outside wires down. I attached the two grubs on the bottom wires and a #3 Indiana Lindy spinner blade on the top wire. We would cast to brush piles and shade covered areas and worked the rig like a spinner bait.

Rob was using 1/8 Booyah Micro Pond Magic in white and was loading up on them. The final count was 17.

My final count for the day was 11, but the quality was a lot bigger this week.

This one was just short by 1/4 inch for a Maryland citation

I ended up the day with 11 perch, two baby stripers, and a blue crab :mrgreen:

I was looking at those light tackle yumbrella rigs last week on basspro.com. might have to order some. That last perch looks like a citation to me! Nice report!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Very nice... That's a good looking rig.... And fish.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

wow - real nice perch!

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          That last perch looks like a citation to me! Nice report!
          I would agree with Ryan. The DNR has a catch and release division for citations. If you feel comfortable with claiming that the lower lobe of the tail fin touched the 13" mark, you can take the photo to a participating tackle shop. They will fill out a ticket for you. You can then go home and enter the ticket number into the DNR website.

I did that with a 13.5" perch I caught on New Years Day. I received two nice certificates from DNR and now am registered for possible prizes in the Maryland Fishing Challenge.
          Attached Files
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the advise John, its not that big of a deal. There is one out there somewhere that will break the mark, just got to find it

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
              Thanks for the advise John, its not that big of a deal. There is one out there somewhere that will break the mark, just got to find it
              Even if you don't care about the paper citation, it would be worth your while to get the entry into the Maryland Fishing Challenge. This gives you a free pass to the Maryland Seafood Festival later this year, and enters you in a drawing for some nice prizes.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

wicked looking rig and nice job on the fish

Comment

Well, we'll just have to get out again and get you your citation.

When I was reading on Perch lures, guys online talk about little stuff. While fishing I was noticing Bass sptinner baits and large inlines like for bass worked better. Larger the better it seemed and different than what I read. I am going to try larger spinnerbiats in 3/8 oz and with larger twister tails on them for the boy boys.

I had some 5" to 6" perch hitting inlines almost 4" long with the marabou on the hook and the #6 treble hardly fit in their mouth. So much it was difficult getting it out. I was using 1/4 oz and might use a 3/8 ox or 2 bodies for a larger profile. They were very agressive!

I started with Crankbaits and the fish were deeper when we started and I only had Bomber shallow river runners that dive a foot. They were coming up and swiping at them but missing all the time. That's why I went tot he spinnerbait as a slow retrieve let it drop more and they started nailing it. Plus the 3/0 hook helped keep the small one off of it.
                  "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Nice stringer of Perch! I like the rig. Thanks for the details on that and with the close up pictures.

Comment

I saw some of those Yumbrella's being home made on Youtube. Lot's of guys trying to make them due to their cost. I tried several in various fashions and found that JB Weld Stick method worked great for the fish body and I used some wires I bought from HD that you would use to flag an area in your yard for a fence or whatever. All my doings were from others on youtube, but some ideas worked better and some didn't. I let my daughter paint the fish bodies up. I threw a couple of these off a pier @ nags head but that scenario is not suited for casting them as I used a trailing leader with a sassy shad and it kept getting tangled with the other lures. Did managed a single Blue and not the mess of Blues I had anticipated, but was fun to play around with. Got several funny looks from other angler's. Maybe I should not be fishing in a speedo....kidding....no really, kidding.

Comment

Mango, the Yumbrella rigs are made from heat treated stainless wire that can be bent in all directions and they do not rust !! I have found you can not cast these like other lures as they will spin and tangle. If you use a med/heavy action rod and just lob the lure at your destination you will have better luck. A bait casting set up worked much better last week than the light action spinning set up I used the week before. The Tackle box in Lexington Park stocks the small Yumbrellas.

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
                          Mango, the Yumbrella rigs are made from heat treated stainless wire that can be bent in all directions and they do not rust !! I have found you can not cast these like other lures as they will spin and tangle. If you use a med/heavy action rod and just lob the lure at your destination you will have better luck. A bait casting set up worked much better last week than the light action spinning set up I used the week before. The Tackle box in Lexington Park stocks the small Yumbrellas.
                          If you don't mind me asking, what do they cost? I have seen these go anywhere from 15-24 bucks. You are correct, my wire did rust up a bit. Also figured that if you lowered these into the water while trolling from the yak similer to trolling from a charter, lures whill stay put and not get all twisted up. Thanks for the tip on the stainless wire. I think I am going to play around with this some more, fun when you can't get on the water to fish.

Comment

Mango, cost on the little tripod will run from $7.99 to $9.99 Chesapeake Outdoors in Chester just ordered some this week and should have them by next week.

Comment

We're do you buy the ruler from?
                              Caribean blue Hobie oasis 2012
                              Dune Pro angler 14

Comment

Working...
                              X