6/16 Quiet Waters three species trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/16 Quiet Waters three species trip

I decided to take my wife to an early breakfast at Main Ingredient this morning and, since Quiet Waters Park is across the street and I couldn't take my yak, I took along a rod and tackle.

I started throwing small buck tails, beetle spins, spoons etc but could not get any hits. I then put a two hook rig on using fistbites and the river went wild.

From the first cast, the bite was on. I was getting Croaker on almost every cast with a few WP mixed in. The Croaker were small, 6 to 8 inches but the WP were in the 11 - 12 inch range. A couple of times I was doing a slow retrieve and a couple of schooly rocks hit the bait.

Now about this package of fishbites. This is from spring of 2011 and they are only supposed to be good for six months when opened. Don't believe it! This stuff is still performing.

I also tried some Gulp bloodworm and Gulp shad that I bought a month ago but did not get any takers.

As those of you who fish the bay know, Croakers are one of the fighting-est fish around for their size. Even though those I hooked were small, the fights they put up made the morning worthwhile.

The South River was was dirtier than the Severn was yesterday at Jonas Green. I estimate that both places are close to the same distance from their mouths. Funny why the difference in clarity.

BTW, for you vets out there. We get free access for us and our families at Quiet Waters park.

Regards,
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Nice report! Thanks for sharing.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Did you fish off of the seawall or walk around to the right and fished in Harness Creek?
      I have occasionally done well "walk" fishing the wall. There are some rock piles and rip rap there that attract dink rock.

Comment

I walk the wall. Those rock piles can be tackle traps when you try working a jig on the bottom.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
        X