Is it practical for a paddler to fish the BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it practical for a paddler to fish the BB

All of the yaks that I have seen under the bridge have been Hobies. Has anyone fished it with a paddle yak? I don't mean anchoring outside the bridge and letting your rode out, I mean jigging without anchoring.
    This is of course not when the current is zinging through but maybe a hour or so before flood or slack.

FYI, I won't do this with my boat because it doesn't like bashing into pilings. I'm wondering if mounting some jumbo pool noodles horizontally on the sides of the yak will work. I have read about the experimental tape that someone in VA used on the CBBT cement ships but don't want a permanent solution.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I fished it recently and i have a paddle kayak. when I would get too close to the pilings, I would use my paddle to push off. Be alert of the wind and current and you should be fine.
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

I fish the BB and I have a paddle yak too. You just set up your drift so that you drift by and not into the pilings
      Hobie PA 12

Comment

Live lining with a paddle yak is no problem and although it will be a little tougher, you can jig as well. You just wont get as many casts before you have to reposition. And why not with the pool noodles may look a little odd but some goop or a fastener of your choice and some pool noodles should work at least for a while. Give it a whirl and let us know how it worked for you!

Chimo

Comment

I may give it a try on Wednesday as I am leaving work at 2PM. I had planned to hit the Severn but, with 90 deg predicted, the shade of the BB has its advantages.
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I fish the bb with a Malibu explorer... No problems at all. You do get less casts with a paddle kayak then the peddle hobie. You just need to figure out your drift to pass without hitting. I was out today and my drift was on an angle to the pilings, so I had to start my drift further out or further back. As with the current I have done great when it's ripping through, but I will only get one cast or two befor repositioning. You just need to figure out what works for you. I have a rod holder in front of me in the center.... I paddle up to the front of the piling, distance out varies with the angle in drifting back.... put the paddle down in front of me... Grab rod and jig is attached or sitting on rod holder and cast....makes it easier b/c all i have to do is grab the jig with one hand and toss it out while grabing the rod with the other b/f making my cast. Than Make my drift. On strong tides you will have to be fast and have a system down. I have had my line loop the tip and that delay is just enough to not get a drift in and I have to reposition. Once you figure your drift, when you paddle up you can use the momentum of the kayak to give you a few more seconds before the current grabs you and pushes you back. Paddle up fast...and it will take a few more seconds b/f the current will grab you... go slow and it will grab faster. Of course this is when its ripping through...today was very slow so I was able to get a few casts in b/f repositioning. When I get too close I push off with my paddle, but I have bumped them many times. The worst part is when I break my line and have to tie another jig on bc a few times I would be a good 400 yards away when done. Also if you snag.. Paddle back up in front of the lure... Usually will pull right out. Also one bridge may shield you better on rough days...swells and whitecaps breaking. also can you the eddy behind the pilings to sometimes sit and get a few casts but you may have to nose right up against it. Its nice when its a lake, but all my large stripers came when the current is very strong. 28 and larger. I think the largest we caught was around 34 last summer, but I have found schools of 26 and up and cast after cast with a hook up.... So far this year just smaller ones, but Ihave only been out 3 times so far. We did very well late July and Aug until that water became messed up with the hurricane last year. I feel its much easier to fish the bridge in the kayak b/c you can get close consistently a foot or so unlike a boat and not worry about the damage. I also feel the kayak is much more stable in the rough water unlike the smaller boats out there b/c your center of gravity is so close to the water....but still its not an easy feeling when its getting rough and that wind is blowing.
            Last edited by missedshed; 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

missedshed:

Good info. Always like to have real life experiences rather than theories on paper.
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
              X