Carr's Wharf, Rhode River 06/21/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carr's Wharf, Rhode River 06/21/12

I had to take my son to camp in Edgewater this morning, so it gave me the excuse to check out Carr's Wharf on the Rhode River. I had not fished the Rhode River until today and was pleasantly surprised by what I found.
    The car-top boat launch at Carr's Wharf is nothing to write home about. There is a fishing/crabbing pier and parking for only 6-7 cars. The launch is a sand and stone beach that is more than adequate for a kayak. I imagine that on a weekend, it can get crowded.

As I paddled out, there were pods of baitfish everywhere and what seemed like miles and miles of undeveloped, fishy looking shoreline. I paddled directly across the river from the launch and began working the shoreline in a westerly direction. I began to catch perch immediately and had a steady bite as I went. At one point I found a school of baby rockfish in a marsh flat type of area and had fun picking away at them. It looked like you could spend days there and not fish the same shoreline twice. The attached pictures are just a little of what the area looks like on the
    Southern shoreline.

Attached Files
    Hobie PA 12

Nice Ed... good size perch? Seems like there are alot of fat perch around right now...

Comment

Matt,
      The perch were consistently 9"-10" with one at 12" and several smaller. The rock were all under 10", but still fun. Can we submit perch for KW?
      Hobie PA 12

Comment

pretty nice there. fished it last month small croaker and rock. gets very crowded on weekends at the ramp. there is a deep hole back by the islands past camp letts? a guy at work said held some nice fish

Comment

Neat area, I have both crabbed and fish there before. I like going to the little island across from the ramp on the west side of the creek as you past Camp Lett to beach my boat and stretch my legs. It gets shallow around the island.

Comment

I think a good-sized chunk of the upper watershed is owned by the Smithsonian, which has kept the shore development lower than expected. It's a spot I've wanted to check out. A snakehead was caught in the upper part of the river last year, too.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
              I think a good-sized chunk of the upper watershed is owned by the Smithsonian, which has kept the shore development lower than expected. It's a spot I've wanted to check out. A snakehead was caught in the upper part of the river last year, too.
              I think you can use the SERC boat launch to put in. The hours are limited though. 09:00 - 16:00.
              My son is attending a day camp at Letts next week so I'll have great excuse to bring the kayak and explore there a little more.
              Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
                Matt,
                The perch were consistently 9"-10" with one at 12" and several smaller. The rock were all under 10", but still fun. Can we submit perch for KW?
                Yeah have to be over 9"... I think they consider them a freshwater fish, but it was a new addition this year and I don't think the Texas guys that run it realize they can be caught in saltwater.

Spot score as well over 9"..

Comment

Working...
                X