2 unknown and very weird south river fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 unknown and very weird south river fish

i caught these a few years ago in my cast net in selby bay i just have never asked what they are. i have never caught anymore of either species but i stilll have the angel fish looking one in my freezer. if anyone knows what they are please help . i got a droid today and while i was looking through my pictures i saw these

Attached Files

The first one is a gizzard shad, which is great bait. The second is a harvestfish, which are related to butterfish (tuna bait). Both harvestfish and butterfish are good to eat when they're bigger. What time of year was it? Around September?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i think so,are they common fish of the south river or at lease the bay?

Comment

I concur, gizzard shad & harvest fish. Gizzard shad are quite common in the Bay but are found only in brackish waters. Many of the side rivers on the bay are loaded with them. Gizzards rarely if ever hit a lure or baited hook so most fishermen rarely encounter them even though they are probably fishing right over schools of them. They are pretty much considered to be a trash shad. I'm not sure how common harvest fish are. Once I caught a mid-20"s striper at the BB and it had a very fresh harvest fish in its stomach.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
        X