Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac River Below Great Falls

Today on the Potomac below Great Falls.

Tubes were the ticket for me. I probably caught 5 or 6 fish and lost another 5 or 6 before I could touch them at the kayak.

I had a great time fishing a new stretch of river.

Here's my photo report.

Nice pics!

Where did you put in?

Comment

Nice photos.The setting looked perfect. Weather was good today too.

PP
      Ascend FS10

Comment

I second that; nice fish. I love smallies. I did real well last year by chain bridge in an aluminum boat. Haven't been there this year. Would like to know where to put in also.
        2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

We only located fish in fast moving, well oxygenated water. If there was no current, there were no smallies.

We fished just north of where the Beltway crosses the Potomac near Great Falls. A cart is needed for the put-in and a rugged up hill drag, push, and pull is needed for the take out. This is predominantly white water kayak territory. We saw probably 8 or 9 white water kayakers headed up to Great Falls to play in the rapids. No kayak fishers, and 2 guys fishing out of a canoe doing the same float as us.

I had difficulty fishing the areas with rapids and current. The best method was to run through a current/rapids area, then pull off to the side, get out of the kayak, stretch your legs and fish from shore/rocks.

There were many beautiful sheer cliffs straight down to the water and lots of islands. I should have taken more photos of the scenery.

Comment

I have fished that area as well....don't bring your hobie if you have one, you will regret it due to numerous mirage drive threats

Comment

Great pics!
              sigpic

Comment

That is a beautiful stretch of river. Great pics and nice smallies, too.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                X