Severn River Tandem fishing on the Outback 6/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River Tandem fishing on the Outback 6/24

My wife and I launched today at Tucker street on weems creek around 9:30 am for our first attempt at a tandem kayak fishing trip on my Outback. Not too far from the ramp we saw John Veil and he was so amazed that we were tandem on a kayak meant for one that he took our picture:

Thanks again for the picture John!
    We made our way around the piers and some rip rap shoreline in weems creek and a little out into the Severn. We caught about 25-30 white perch with alot that were 8-9 inches. Unfortunately only three were over 10 inches with the largest at 11". Those three went home with us. I also caught a few tiny croakers, a crab and a pumpkinseed sunfish. We only fished for about 2 1/2 hours before the waves started to kick up out there with all the boat traffic and we headed in for lunch.

We also ran into ComeOnFish out there and he was doing pretty well on the perch too. It was nice to finally meet you Joe!
    Here are the biggest two perch from the day:

I met another kayak fisherman that was launching at tucker street when we were coming in. I told him about our great little forum here but forgot to ask for his name. Hopefully he finds this post...
    Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Lol, I cannot show my girlfriend that pic!
    sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed meeting Mrs. Shadyfisher. I have never before seen two people riding back-to-back on a single seat kayak. I just had to get a photo.

I went out early and fished several hours before seeing Ryan near the ramp on my way in. My first cast of the morning was about 30 seconds after launching. On my first cast I hooked a 10.5" perch. After that, catching was intermittent throughout the morning. I caught about 25 perch, 1 12" rockfish, and 2 pickerel -- the larger of the two went 18" (my biggest summer pickerel). I trolled 3 lines while I paddled between fishing spots. However, there was enough floating grass in the river that my lures got grassed up and I caught almost nothing on the troll.

I am off to Cancun this morning for the next 6 days. There will be no Severn reports until I get back.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That is so cool- the Outback is a barge- huge carrying capacity, super stable- love mine...

Enjoy Cancun John- lots of good fishing there, inshore and offshore- take your travel rod- hide it from the Missus...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Awesome pic. I do this a lot with a friend on my PA. Cooler makes for a great seat! Never seen or thought someone would do it in an Outback. Simply great Ryan. Your wife is a trooper for sitting on a cooler in the sun all day. Oh, and she must really trust your skills in a yak lol
          Cliff Williams
          Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

That pic is hilarious, Ryan. It looks like there's still plenty of freeboard, too.

Nice pickerel, John. That is a nice summer fish. Cancun should be fun.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
            X