Rocky Gorge Skunk - 6/25/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Gorge Skunk - 6/25/12

I hit Rocky Gorge last night from 6PM till about 8PM. I launched from the Supplee ramp and paddled up to Scotts Cove. I tried to troll around 20-25 feet deep with the bottom bouncer and a larger sized Rapala minnow in the fire tiger color. I got skunked. I didn't see any other boats, kayakers, or shore fishermen catching anything either. I was amazed at how few fish were showing up on my sonar unit. Water clarity was better at Triadelphia from what I can tell. I left due to lightning in the area, or I would have fished longer. Next time I'll fish a different section and try a different color lure.

Last edited by DanMarino; 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM.

I was there Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I caught two on a purple power worm and Sunday I caught one on a small bomber crankbait. Sunday I started throwing the worm when the crankbait didn't produce and ended getting nibbles that were too small to be bass. I wanted to know what was teasing me so I tied on a small lead head jig with a small white grubb that I had to tear in half so the fish could reach the hook. It turned out to be yellow perch. I caught about 6 and also a couple of small blue gill. Rocky Gorge can be tricky at times. I seem to see a lot of fish deep but then again I don't trust my FF all that much!

Comment

I've had better luck between 29 and Scott's Cove using suspending deep diving rapalas with rattles inside. There's a big flats area with large drop offs 3 coves down from Scott's Cove heading towards the 29 bridge. If I had 2 hours to kill, I'd just troll back and forth in that area with a big deep diving crankbait.
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Fished there Sunday, Fathers' Day, later in the day. Launched from Brown Bridge. Used crank baits, small & Large. I went north of bridge--no luck. When I went south, luck changed and caught 5 bass with the largest being 18 inches and the smallest being 14 inches. The other types caught trolling include 3 very large crapie, many bream, and 1 yellow perch. Turned out to be one of the better days at Rocky George.

Comment

Working...
        X