Severn River 6/24/2012 - Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River 6/24/2012 - Fishing

Launched from Jonas Green yesterday around 8 AM. Was in the water for about 3 hours, caught a ton of perch-all sizes, up to almost 12". Let all the perch go because I didn't have the time to clean them yesterday. Also, a lot of baby croaker and small rockfish 7-12". For some reason, this year, the largest croaker I have caught is about 8". Last year, I caught a few larger ones, (mostly when drifting bait slowly across the bottom). Basically just jigged a gold hopkins around the shaded areas of the docks and casted it along the rocky parts of the shoreline during the high tide. I also tried jigging the spoon out in deeper water which was where I got the majority of the baby croaker.

Saw some much larger fish breaking the surface in about 4-6' of water along the rocky shoreline. I've fished there pretty often and I haven't seen fish that size breaking the surface before. I threw an x-rap at them and then tried to jig the hopkins in a little deeper water just out form the area where they were breaking the surface. Clearly wasn't rays because I could see the full side of the fish a couple of times, but couldn't make out any coloring as it was pushing through the water. The way they were acting reminded me of watching carp that are aggressively spawning in fresher water. I'll have to try that area and similar spots during high tide in shaded areas to see if there is some kind of pattern. I normally fish whenever I get the opportunity, so this just happened to be the highest of any high tides I have fished this year.

-Pat

Last Sat I saw a large dead carp floating at the mouth of Weems Creek. I suppose you could have seen carp in the Jonas Green area. I also saw at least one ray flopping around in the shallows near Jonas Green.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

yeah i saw a large dead carp by carrs creek area by the navy marina and some rays in the area also on sunday

Comment

Thank you both for the info. I thought it was a carp at first but wishful thinking had me thinking it might be a larger rockfish. Carp seemed semi-out of place there.

Comment

dont tell the Brits or they will be all over the river shooting corn for them

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
            dont tell the Brits or they will be all over the river shooting corn for them

fwiw - i saw a big dead carp at BB last week. really no way for me to know if it died nearby (seems very unlikely) or just floated there. but i have been surprised on several occasions at how far into salt environment living carp will go.

Comment

I was there on Saturday. But I couldn't find any perch over 11 inches. I had my GO-TO lures, but just couldn't locate the bigger WP.
              I caught 50+ WP for 4.5 hours. The WP were small unexpectedly. I kept 2 @ 9”, 29 @10”, and 2 @ 11” for a block party.

It was nice to meet Shadyfisher and a beautiful lady fishing while sitting on a cooler placed on the tank well of an Out Back.

After Shadyfisher left, I went back to the first pier next to the rock jetty (point). For an hour I caught 10" WP every cast.

I kept 2 @ 9”, 29 @10”, and 2 @ 11” for a block party.

The videos were taken for 2.5 hours, before I met Shadyfisher, and before the battery got discharged.

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Nice video Joe! and nice to meet you too! I think you found one of my favorite spots to fish for white perch in the severn along the small jetty and pier.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Sweet video. Thanks for show us the type of lures. Love the action sequences and the detail info.

Comment

Excellent video!
                    Dock hopping has quickly become one of my favorite ways to fish.
                    Gotta watch out on the weekends for big wakes at low tide so you don't get pinned under the docks!
                    Also those darn head high boat lifts tend to sneak up behind you when you aren't looking. Clang!

Comment

I like the video! Nothing like a light tackle perch'n.
                      Hobie PA 12

Comment

Just realized I PM'ed you through YouTube ... lemme know when you're headed back out to PLO ... looks like you did quite nicely w/the Croaker! You also seem to have stumbled across a nice honey hole on the Severn ... I wish those piers were holding Croaker though ... well, Perch is might fine eatin' too! I had me a fish fry last week from Perch pulled up from that same spot. Good job!
                        Hobie Revolution

Comment

Working...
                        X