Herring Bay / Vicinity night fishing 6/26/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herring Bay / Vicinity night fishing 6/26/2012

Last night I went out with a friend on his 22' Robalo Center Console. We left Fishing Creek around 8:30PM just around dusk and made it up to Herring Bay to check out some perch. Regretfully not much to speak of.... no perch were had. We were bottom fishing blood worm, fish bites and shrimp on light tackle. Still nothing.

We moved out to deeper waters and started catching some small baby croakers but nothing else. Maybe night fishing is not too prosperous?

It was a nice, cool evening and matter of fact, pretty darn chilly on the way home back to Chesapeake Beach around 11PM. This was my first time really paying attention to fishing at night out on the bay and it is really interesting for a newbie fisherman. Under the lights there are thousands of baby crabs and minnows just skittering here and there hovering around the light. I kept dreaming of all those baby crabs growing up to be big Jimmies. Also, I was amazed at the number of jellyfish this early in the season.
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

You need to fish the area surrounding the lighthouse. Its directly across the Bay when launching out of Breezy or Chesapeake. 15-16 in croaker and my biggest blue so far this yr at 19 inches. I caught two blues total that night as I was concentrating on mostly croakers. Shrimp for the croakers and spot for the blues. We were on a boat as well. Stripers have been small lately. Its been a lot of work trying to get the bigger ones to bite.

On another note. Hve you all noticed that you get more bites using the mid to head section of the shrimp than the tail area. I like to use the tail area b/c it stays on the hook better but I get less hits.
    Hobie Outback
    WS Tarpon
    IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

It seems that last Friday's rain turned Herring Bay off. Saturday was disappointing compared to the abundance of WP there the whole week leading up to that.

Comment

Working...
      X