4 species each @ St. Jerome's Creek, 6/27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 species each @ St. Jerome's Creek, 6/27

Unfortunately for me, they were all dinks.

Kevin (kevinfry) and I hit the water at about 6pm in search of more keeper trout. We fished until about 9pm and covered mid to late flood, though the current pretty much died around 8:15. The wind was blowing pretty hard at first, but there were some sheltered areas to fish, and the waves weren't bad at all. The wind did make trolling the drop off in the creek more difficult, but Kevin still found some fish. The wind died down by the end of the evening, which was a nice change of pace.

I picked up a couple rat reds, one on olive minnow X-Rap XR06 and the other on a bottom rig baited with Fishbites:

I also caught a 9" bluefish and a 13" striper on the X-Rap and a couple small croakers on the bottom rig. Kevin picked up a couple small stripers and a big cownose ray:

No specks were to be had. I ran into Mike, Christy, and a guest who were also fishing near the inlet. They had picked up some stripers, including a couple nice ones, but no specks. It also sounds like only one flounder has been reported from the creek mouth thus far this year.

I forgot to check the temperature on my fish finder, but the temperature and salinity at the Potomac buoy were 76* and 13, respectively. Neither of us had fish to take home for dinner, but we were treated to a nice sunset:

Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

It's nice to finally see Reds in the area after 2 years... Now if I have some time.. I'll have to hit that area sometime in august.

Comment

It would really have been a banner trip if those reds were about a foot longer... Hopefully, they'll be back next year as keepers.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

nice Bill they are bigger than the ones at solomans

Comment

Hated catching that ray, ruined my only brook trout colored x-rap (my trout killer LOL), but so glad Bill convinced me to fish! very enjoyable evening. Good company, great scenery. great sunset.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

That's a keeper sunset pic. Wow
            2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Working...
            X