Mattawoman in 103 Degrees - No Snakeheads but Plenty of Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman in 103 Degrees - No Snakeheads but Plenty of Bass

A rookie co-worker and I launched from the 225 bridge and paddled down a ways. 103 degrees out and the bass were chasing crankbaits! I started off with a rubber frog and had 3 fish blow up on it, but not get hooked. I switched to a white buzzbait and caught 2 decent fish in the 13-14 inch range. Missed a few more on the buzzbait. Switched to a Manns Baby -1 crankbait and immediatly hooked up with a 21 inch largemouth. It was blind in one eye and skinny. Longest bass I've every caught. It flipped off of my Golden Rule and back into the creek as I reached for my camera... I caught probably 8 more on the crankbait. A couple of 15 and 16 inchers all the way down to a 10 incher. I had a small snakehead follow my crankbait. My buddy had a snakehead on for a few seconds, but it came off. It was a nice trip, but a little on the hot side. I'll be heading back in a few weeks. These tidal largemouths remind me of smallies. They are feisty and pull hard. They seem stronger than the dead weight bass I catch out of local ponds or Triadelphia/Rocky Gorge.

Here's a few photos.

Other than the heat, sounds like a good time.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Very nice!
      2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Nice job! Can't let the heat keep you off the water.
        Cliff Williams
        Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Nice, very nice.

Comment

Nice fish!

What color minus 1 were you using?

Comment

I think anything will work. I was using a crawfish color and my buddy was using a baby bass color.

Comment

I went this morning and caught about 10 right around the barge. All on 3 inch grubs. It was a great morning except when I snapped a brand new pole while draggin a frog through the pads...

Comment

Working...
                X