Bellevue on the Tred Avon River 06/30/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellevue on the Tred Avon River 06/30/2012

I met SurfDog just before 4:00am at the WaWa on Route 50. It was a ghost town there. There was an unexpectedly bad storm late Friday night that took down trees and power in the Washington area. Both the Wawa and Anglers Sports center was out of power. The Bay Bridge was also shutdown due to an accident. Fortunately, by 4:00am when Surf and I was ready to drive to the Eastern shore, the eastern bound traffic just began to move.

It was a short drive to Bellevue from the WaWa. On the way there we stopped at a 7-Eleven to pickup some bloodworms and eats on Kent Island (they had power). When we got to Bellevue, we saw lots of crabbing boats heading out in the morning. Just before we launched Don (Shield )and Keith (Wingman) arrived. The morning was sunny with little to no breeze. Temperatures were predicted to reach 100 degrees. The water was calm and it was low tide. I immediately began fishing to the left of the boat ramp after launching by casting a beetlespin spinner with a white jighead in a chartreuse body that I got from Nay_Sayer. I immediately hooked up with a puppy drum. I continued to catch fish, perch and a small rockfish, all on this spinner. I was catching them in 2.5 to 5 feet of water. I continued fishing the northern shoreline while making my way east. I caught perch after perch. Man, I gotta get more of those chartreuse jigheads from Nay_Sayer. I worked all of the docks along the way. I was catching some nice size perch around 11 to 12.5 inches. When we finally made it to the east side in 29 feet of water I tried jigging and dragging a bucktail with a white gulp swimming mullet,but I got no takers. I caught a few fishing in the deeper water using a top and bottom rig tipped with blood worms and peeler crabs. They were only small perch and small baby croakers. By 10am we started to head in before the heat was in full force. I tried to fish the areas near to the ramp again and bam! More perch, with some large ones mixed in. Needless to say I left the perch biting.

Bellevue is a nice launch area, with free cartop water access. The ramp can launch two boats at a time. The parking lot fills up fast with trailers hauling crabbing boats, so get there early on a weekend. Next time I will explore the area to the right of the boat launch since I heard fishing can be good here in the afternoon.
    Attached Files

Hard core fishermen on this forum- worst thunderstorm in history- 2nd worst damages only to Hurricane Isabelle- no traffic lights working on streets and highways, hot weather, no gas...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The next time you go there, go to the right 2 miles to benoni pt...lots of rocks and boulders in 5 ft. or less water. Plenty of nice w.p. and decent size rockfish. spinners and plugs. get there at high tide and fish the outgoing.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.... will do.

Comment

Nice going guys. You certainly have more ambition than me to meet on the road at 4:00 am. I can't imagine what time you left home. Thanks for the report on Bellevue. I hope to give that launch a try some time.

I took a more leisurely route yesterday. I slept in until 7:00, ate breakfast, then loaded up for my 10-min drive to Weems Creek. Since I had been out of town all week with no chance to fish, my streak of catching at least one fish a week was in jeopardy. I needed to get on the water on Sat and catch the fish. Fortunately the first fish came very quickly. On the second cast I caught a feisty 16" pickerel. I picked up plenty of perch over the next two hours before heading home for clean-up work in the yard.

The water in Weems was browner than it has been recently. Undoubtedly this was a result of the storm the previous night.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

john its just a normal weekend for us, get up early and fish tll it gets hot or butt and back cant take sitting any more. the bottom structure around Pecks pt looks awsome drops from 10 to 32' and good structure all the way to the #4 red can

Comment

I forgot.... here is my yummy perch.....I always forget how sweet these little guys are.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking dinner Martin. You caught enough for many meals.
                2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Working...
                X