Severn Hospitality: 7/6/12 crabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Hospitality: 7/6/12 crabbing

I hit the water at about 6am today, launched out of Jonas. No wind, calm waters, I had a good feeling about this trip. I ran the trotline on a 6'-14' gradual slope. After the first two runs, I had about 16 in the basket. The crabs were hungry today. My bait was torn to pieces quicker than I have ever seen. I ended the day (around 920am) with a bushel! Needless to say, the action was hot. Lots of smalls, but there were lots of keepers just the same. Got a good 2 dozen jumbos mixed in there.

The crabs are chilling in the cooler now. Later today I'll ice them, then steam 'em.

Last edited by MetroMan; 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM.
    <insert witty comment here>

Nice work! Im taking my dad out crabbing on the Severn tomorrow in his boat, should be a good day.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

You guys should do well. Good luck. I often wanna try other spots to find my own "secret" honey holes, but with the Severn being so good...it's no point right now

Comment

So what time I need to be there for the feast? *STARE*

Comment

Dude...please come by lol. There is no way we can finish all of these. Ain't like you got anything better to do anyway.

Comment

LOL I'll let you know... Gotta see when the fam is coming back into town.

Comment

I'll be out there too on my dad's boat, look for either a 13' whaler or a 22' whaler. Good luck And nice bushel MetroMan!
              Shane
              Hobie Outback

Comment

I'll be near the mouth of spa creek in a 14" smokercraft...
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I culled the crabs by size since I have family coming over. Not gonna have guests taking the jumbos from my wife and I lol. Check this out...

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                    I culled the crabs by size since I have family coming over. Not gonna have guests taking the jumbos from my wife and I lol. Check this out...

Baby Killer!
                    Lol!
                    GB

Comment

Great Red Drum, Striper, Gator Trout, Cobia and Blackfish bait....Break the claws off,pin a 10/0 Live Bait hook through the point of its shell on a fish finder rig off Buckroe Beach at night and hang on for dear life- big crab eater pulling drag- now that sounds like a good time!

They aren't bad eating, either!
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

We caught 3/4 of a bushel today and threw back over 100 small crabs. The small crabs destroyed the baits and a few times we even caught three small crabs in one trap. The crabs we kept were mixed in size with the biggest at 7 1/4, but seemed to be mostly heavy crabs . Good day on the water... now its nap time.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice. One thing I noticed after eating them last night...the smaller crabs get over looked at the table but they are packed more times than not. Way to go!

Comment

I love the 5" crabs with the solid almost paste like mustard... Guess its about time to start cooking today's batch!
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X