Potomac Pike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac Pike

Between weekend weddings and busy work weeks I have been hitting the water closer to home a lot more lately. Fortunately for me, the Potomac has a lot of different species to offer. Thus far I have caught largemouth bass, white perch, bluegill, crappie, channel catfish, blue catfish, striped bass, and northern snakehead (Potomac Pike). The hottest lures have been rage toads and a beetle spin with a 1/8oz jighead and any soft plastic. I got two snakeheads in the same place on a beetle spin... it was definitely a surprise. However, the large blue cat on the beetle spin was a bit more surprising.

(This big one came from Nanjemoy, MD not DC)

Used to fish more.

Awesome report! The beetlespin is my go to lure for catching fish. I've caught everything from fallfish to snakeheads on it too.

Comment

Nice work Michael!! The amount of trash on the shore in some of your pics is sad, but it's good it hasn't killed the fishery!!

Comment

It's pretty bad back there on trash. You'd be surprised where it is though! The whole body of water is chock full of turtles which is usually a pretty good indicator of water quality. I'll try to find the video I took of a snapping turtle walking to the water, it sounded like a person breaking sticks as they walk through a forest... only to be a massive turtle!
        Used to fish more.

Comment

That's a nice mess of fish, Michael. Looks like you've got the snakeheads dialed in. You probably put that beetlespin right in the cat's nest. If you released it, it'll probably still be in the same spot if it's still got young in the nest. I'm surprised you can land a snakehead hooked on a beetlespin. Don't they bend the spinner arm?
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice job Mike. Keep it up.
            Hobie Outback
            WS Tarpon
            IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Since the beetlespin has a 1/8 ounce jig head attached to it, the jig will pivot and the arm does not get all mangled up like a spinnerbait does.

Comment

Were the DC fish caught out of Duck pond?
                Hobie Revolution

Comment

Those are impressive fish. I am a big fan of fishing close to home. Sometimes we get tempted by greener grass when we have good fishing nearby.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice Michael, did you keep any of the SH to eat?
                    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

nice job on the snakeheads!

Comment

Working...
                      X