we caught 9 red drum in the south river with pictures, please read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we caught 9 red drum in the south river with pictures, please read

hey everyone this is going to be a long report but please read because this past week was the best fishing of my life. so this is a report for tuesday,wednesday,thursday,and today. first off on thursday we caught some sort of shad in my cast net. we caught all the perch on tuesday also using live minnows. on tuesday we caught one 12 inch red drum on a minnow. my friend was like andrew i think i caught a croaker and i was screaming out of joy and i said thats no croaker. ha. anyway on wednesday morning we caught baout 15-20 stripers on minnows and the biggest was 17.5. on thursday we caught rockfish spot croaker white perch and my friend caught this yellow perch! that was a first in the river. its weird that there is yellow perch and red drum in the same body of water. we also caught 8 drum on thursday and i caught this ray. it bit a live menhaeden and i fought it for 2.5 hours on 10 pound test mono and we finally got him to the beach and i gaffed that sucker.today i caught a few white perch and a bushel of crabs. 7 of the redfish were on minnows. one was on bloodoworms and another was on fishbites. in the past week i caught 3 fish i have never caught before in the south river so i was very exited. we are going to livelivling the bridge tommorow so checkout the report. alos the biggest drum was 13 inches and the smallest was 7

thanks,Andrew
    Attached Files

Looks like you had an exciting week Andrew. Nice job.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

nice work!

Comment

Good job on the Drum and all the other fish. I love the South river. Fish Selby bay often. What did you do with the ray?

Comment

Dinner, its tasted ok. I have caught dozens in sleby bays before but t
          hat was the first one we tried

Comment

Nice week! I wonder if the reds will ever get up to the Severn. There sure are a ton of baby croaker in the Severn.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

the baby croakers are anoying. i catch the spot under the pier while the croakers are out from the pier. also with minnows the only things that will eat them are everything but spot and croaker, and they are fre

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                Nice week! I wonder if the reds will ever get up to the Severn. There sure are a ton of baby croaker in the Severn.
                somewhere, i saw a report of tiny red drum in a severn creek a few weeks ago. there was also a different report of a black drum just outside severn a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                  somewhere, i saw a report of tiny red drum in a severn creek a few weeks ago. there was also a different report of a black drum just outside severn a few weeks ago.
                  Southerly, I was out this morning and caught about a 14" red drum(was too busy trying to get him back in the water to measure or take a pic) near Plum Creek. Crazy! I didn't know reds came this far up the bay?! We also caught 66 small rock 6" to about 16". Most of those were caught by my buddy. I only wound up with 12, but still not a bad morning! There were birds working and fish were breaking the surface everywhere. I've never seen anything like it.
                  LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nice report Andrew. I think I am going out on the South River tomorrow for a few hours. I think I'll have to set a minnow trap tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                      Southerly, I was out this morning and caught about a 14" red drum(was too busy trying to get him back in the water to measure or take a pic) near Plum Creek. Crazy! I didn't know reds came this far up the bay?! We also caught 66 small rock 6" to about 16". Most of those were caught by my buddy. I only wound up with 12, but still not a bad morning! There were birds working and fish were breaking the surface everywhere. I've never seen anything like it.
                      This is an unusual year for species that usually stay far south of the Annapolis area. There have been many reds caught in the South and a few in the Severn as far upstream as Round Bay. I read the first report of a red in the Magothy a few days ago. Another angler on Tidalfish reported that his girl friend caught a large speckled trout near Rock Hall -- far north of their normal range. The report that kayak456 put up today showed a pinfish and a large needlefish (maybe a houndfish) caught in Selby Bay.

Enjoy the opportunity to catch an uncommon visitor to our local waters.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Also there is sea bass. I've also caught catfish. And yellow perch in selby bay . Its a weird season

Comment

Working...
                        X