Mattawoman Creek 7/7 2nd snakehead and biggest bass of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Creek 7/7 2nd snakehead and biggest bass of the year

Woke up real early today and headed down to Mattawoman. Was on the water by 5:00am. The day started off slow for me and didn't catch as many as the past two times but the bass were all really good size. I missed quite a few fish today, and had a lot of snakeheads going airborne after taking my frog and running with it. It was pretty funny to see them fly through the air. I did manage to land one snakehead. It was just a little guy:

I had little luck throwing the crankbait today. Only managed one or two bass and one catfish that hit like a mack truck, so I found myself going back to the frog all morning. It ended up paying off with the largest bass of the year for me. I don't have a hawg trough, though I really need to get one. Nor do I have a scale. I need to work on getting these two things so I can keep better track of these larger bass. This first pic is an example of the average size bass I have been catching at Mattawoman. It is one I caught this morning. I am using it to compare with the pic of the big I caught today. Notice how much of the cup holder is visible on the kayak compared to the larger fish. I basically hold all the fish the same way when I take a picture of them. I lip them and lean them on the rod holder.

Here is the average bass, probably a 2-3 lber:

Here is the big one:

As I was working my way back to the launch I was just flipping the frog along the edge of the spatterdock. I noticed about 50 yards ahead of me on a spatterdock point, something large was shaking the vegetation. When I got close enough I cast the frog beyond the area and worked it back through. This bass knocked the hell out of the frog and and I slammed the hook right in the side of the mouth. I had to land it with a rag around my hand because I forgot the net this morning and both my thumbs are literally raw from lip landing so many bass in the past week. Not a bad problem to have I suppose!
    Attached Files

Mattawoman is an amazing place to fish. Every time I go I thoroughly enjoy it and I'm amazed at the number of fish in there and the average size of the bass with the snakeheads as a bonus! Love that place.

Comment

I am going to make an effort to fish there after I come back from my vacation. Seem like a good place to fish. Thanks for sharing.
      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12 - Olive

Comment

Congrats on the nice fish. It's a good sign when a fish reaches most of the way across your yak. It must've been a blast catching them on frogs, too.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice report! The bite was slower Saturday morning than it was on Wednesday for me as well.

chimo

Comment

Working...
          X