Kayak Crabbing 07-07-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Crabbing 07-07-2012

Sorry for the late report, but I was worn out this weekend. I continued my quest to find out which areas had the better crabs. I tried the Severn twice in two different locations. On Saturday, I tried the Rhodes River. I ran a 600 foot snood trotline starting at 5:30am. I first ran it in an average of 6 feet. The first run was great with 8 keepers. After that it shut down. No keeper crabs. They we all small baby crabs. I decided to move the line (ugh) into 4 feet of water and BAM! I got a keeper crabs on every run. I actually got bigger crabs in the shallower water. I quit around 9:30am due to the heat and all of the jet skiers causing big wakes on the water. I ended up with 50 crabs, with 1 dozen being 7inches plus. Natually, my wife and I ate those first like Metroman....

I willneed to design a basket system similar to Metro to prevent the crabs from climbing out with ease when the basket is 1/3 full. Big crabs can climb on top of each other and reach the top of the backet..yikes...

All in all, it was fun and my crabs were cooked in JO#2 and I threw in a few ears of corn in the pot with them so they can steam together.

As for the early analysis, I believe that the Severn has better crabs in terms of size, hardness of the shell, and the ratio of larger crabs to the babies, than the Rhodes. The Many of the 5.5 inch crabs seemed light to me with more brittle shells than crabs caught only a few days before on the Severn. Well, that is it for now....

Crab Whisperer Over and Out

nice job! where do you get your necks?
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X