Ai 7-16/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ai 7-16/17

The girlfriend had a campsite at AI National Park through her group of friends so I had to skip the m&g load up the camping gear and a case of beer and try my hand at surf launching Got in late on Friday night, had a few drinks and slept in Saturday morning. I was really looking forward to trying to find some channels on the bay side and jig for some flounder but because the wind was from the west and the ocean was dang near flat I decided I had better take advantage of the conditions. Loaded up the Revo, tied the rods down in case I bit it and launched around 0830. A little bit nerve wracking because of all I had heard and not wanting to lose my gear but I made it out no problem! Fished till 11 or so and came back in just to decide to head back out around 1300 and then got chased off by some thunder around 1600. In the morning all I caught was a foul hooked bunker. Afternoon was much better finding a bunch of small croaker in about 28 fow and a new species for me!
    Baby Weak fish

There were a ton of bunker around, pelicans bombing the water and dolphins cruising up and down the beach all day too which was neat.

Sunday I woke up at 0430 and launched from the Ferry Landing at 0500. Fished out and around searching for some deeper water to find only 6 fow max. Threw soft plastics, metal and dragged a flounder rig everywhere I went and only ended up with some ambitious bait sized spot. Not sure what this guy was thinking ???

Went to a little hole I had found off an island and started live lining the spot while casting towards the shore. About 20 minutes in my rod doubled over and I started chasing only to catch a glimpse of a 3-4 ft shark just as he broke me off. That had the blood pumping but after re rigging and another 20 minutes of no bites I started working my way back to the launch dragging one of the spot along the way. In the last hole I reeled in and got ready to leave and pulled in another 1st for me

Not the first time I have caught a crab on rod and reel but the first time I have done it live lining. Would have thought the spot would have been able to avoid the claws! Anyways, off the water at around 0930 and went to clean up the campsite. Thought about launching in the afternoon but the wind had picked up and the ocean was dotted with white caps. Decided to hang on the beach instead and practice launching and surfing the waves on my Mini-X. What a blast! It was a load of fun but I completely understand why you have to pick your days launching through the surf now that I have been flipped, sunk and rolled in the surf! Great weekend even if I couldn't find a quality fish!

Chimo

Sounds like good times, thanks. Cool pics
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like fun, even if there were only dinks around. It's too bad you didn't get to check out the bay side. Did you leave the rudder up and paddle when you were surf launching the Revo? Also, did you see any horses? I could convince the missus to do a combo fishing/horse-watching trip where she lazes on the beach and watches the horses while I fish.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly
        nice report - very nice reading. my little experience getting thru waves windsurfing was, it's kind of all or nothing. getting thru breaking surf can be really exciting, the taste of some victory at sea is satisfying but when things don't work out, it's amazing how fast and how totally out of control you can get. humbling, educational and sometimes costly. really sounds like you made the most of a great weekend at the beach!
        Yup, that about sums my experience this weekend up as well, except luckily for the costly part. Got real lucky coming back in the second time. Got spun around and surfed a wave backwards and somehow stuck the landing. If it had been a little rougher I would have been screwed!

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
          Sounds like fun, even if there were only dinks around. It's too bad you didn't get to check out the bay side. Did you leave the rudder up and paddle when you were surf launching the Revo? Also, did you see any horses? I could convince the missus to do a combo fishing/horse-watching trip where she lazes on the beach and watches the horses while I fish.
          Left the rudder up and paddled until I was beyond the second wave of breakers Bill. The horses were definately around, looked to be 3 or 4 bunches of 6 working their way around stopping traffic as people took pics and what not. The Ferry landing is bayside in the National Park. I really should have launched from the 611 bridge instead of the Ferry Landing so I could have jiggeed the channel but with all the marshy shoreline I was hoping to run into some specs. Oh well, theres always next time

Comment

nice wayne! ooh west wind, how were the flies? west is good for calm water but it brings the bugs out to the beach

Comment

I launched from the 611 state park on Sunday morning. First time in my yak in over 3 months (been fishing the surf at AI for the most part). Similar experience. Caught an 8" weakie and some croaker. both on Gulp. 1 decent fish came unbuttoned halfway up. The boat channel is about 7 -10 feet.

I also went out yesterday and launched from the Isle Of Wight park. That is a great launch with no boat pressure. Worked the east and west spans of the 90 bridge and no flatties, loads of croaker though.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                nice wayne! ooh west wind, how were the flies? west is good for calm water but it brings the bugs out to the beach
                Skeeters at night but not bad on the flies.

MTD, what time were you on the water? I drove over the bridge a few times and probably saw you. At least I didn't miss that much at the bridge.

good fishin

Comment

I was out there from 6am to 1pm. I was in a banana Yellow pro angler.

Wish I had my other motorized yak because the wind was tough.

Love AI, my favorite place!

Comment

Working...
                  X