Ocean City - July 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean City - July 19

I am thinking about a day trip to Ocean City tomorrow (Thurs, July 19). I would plan to leave Annapolis around 7:00, fish in the vicinity of the Rt 50 bridge until mid- or late afternoon, then drive home. If anyone is interested in joining me, let me know.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,
    I live in Worcester Co., I could meet you there. Send me a PM with your cell#
    Gary Marine

Comment

I have off all day! My girlfriend works at ten then ill be on the water after that I launch from a marina just north of hopped its a dock launch or there's always the harbor if you'd prefer a ramp
      Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

Im thinking about a friday or saturday trip.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I have off both days after about 1030 pm idk if you'd be around then we' ll see how this storm stirs up the water it could be worth waiting a few days if its cloudy water for the flatties seasons really just starting to get better if that's your Target you could have some luck!

Comment

I launched this morning at the West Ocean City harbor ramp. I met Hemingway who had already launched. We paddled out to the bay and turned left toward the Rt 50 bridge. Part way there Hemingway found a good dropoff and decided to stop and try fishing there. I put two minnows on a bottom rig with 2 ounces of lead and dropped it overboard. In less than 5 minutes, I reeled in my first flounder (15"). I took that to be a good sign. We did not get any more bites there and moved just north of the bridge to where I had had good success last summer. The outgoing current was moving nicely but unfortunately the wind was blowing at almost the same speed in the opposite direction. It was nearly impossible to get a drift going. I managed to catch a 17" and 10" flounder over the next 4 hours, but the bite was definitely slow today. In part because the drift was so slow, I had a lot of bitten off by crabs, and reeled in several pregnant female crabs that did not want to let go of the minnows.

I also tried fishing a jighead with a Gulp swimming mullet. I never hooked a fish on that rod, but did have several tails bitten off the Gulp. I blame that on the crabs.

Part way through the trip, kayakjoe joined us. He fished the area frequently and was able to point out some spots that often hold fish. I caught my 17" flounder in one of the holes he suggested. I think we would have been more successful if the wind had not messed up the drifts.

We arrived back at the ramp just minutes before a storm rolled through. The other guys loaded up in the rain, but I chose to wait it out. After 45 minutes of hard rain and some lightning, the rain dropped off enough that I could load up most of my gear and get the kayak on the roof. Before I got all four straps tightened down, the hard rain returned for another 15 minutes.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by J.A. Veil; 07-20-2012, 07:41 AM. Reason: I was too tired last night to type the correct port city
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, I wish I could have met you there. I'm still here in the hospital with my son. They still have not figured out what is causing him to be so sick in the stomach. I really want to go to OC for some flounder fishing.

Comment

J.A. Veil and KayakJoe,
                Just wanted to thank you for yesterday. True is was a tough day of fishing, but the fellowship could not have been better. It really showed me what a great group this association is. Hope to join you guys again sometime...minus the wind and the 2+inches of rain per hour at load-up time
                Hemingway

Comment

very nice! i like more or less the whole scene at OC, but access to ocean species is best part. congrats on getting on some flatties.

Comment

I agree with you for sure hemmingway! Although the rain was nice my car now smells like moist sweaty pfd which we all know is not a good smell! I had a good time with you guys, its always nice to meet new friends on the kayak especially on this side of the bridge as there are only a select few as of now. I hope our next outing to be a bit better but still enjoyed the company, thanks fellas!

Comment

Good going.

Comment

Yea, I have ride with windows down in the van...hope it dries out soon...but at least I have my cart wheels!

Comment

Working...
                        X