Big summer pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big summer pickerel

Last winter the pickerel were very abundant in the Severn creeks and coves. That was a lot of fun for many local anglers. My experience of fishing the Severn frequently for the last decade is that pickerel are not so hard to find in the winter, but rarely get caught in the warmer weather. My pickerel mentor, Virgil Poe, once told me he thought that in the warm months there is so much natural food that a good predator like a pickerel is less likely to get fooled by a lure. Virgil's wisdom has been on target -- at least until this summer.

I have caught at least one pickerel on every second or third Severn perchin' trip since late spring. Most have been the abundant young pickerel we caught by the dozen last winter (12" to 15" long). I caught most of my winter pickerel on live minnows, but all the summer pickerel have fallen for artificials. I did find two 18" specimens earlier this summer.

This afternoon I had a fun paddle around Weems Creek looking for perch and relaxing a bit before a 4-day business trip starting tomorrow. I caught 25-30 perch on various spinner lures. The hot lure today for perch was one of Woody's feather jig spinners in the 1/8-oz size. Toward the end of the trip, I was thinking of working one last stretch of shoreline before heading home. I switched over to an ultralight rod with a 1/16-oz green spinnerbait made by MKF member Bignose -- he gave me a few of his creations last winter to try (they work just fine, thank you). I cast out and thought I was snagged on a submerged branch. Then the fish began to move -- initially it felt like just another 9" perch. Then it must have felt the hook because it took off back and forth, giving the slender rod a real workout. I eventually got the pickerel to the side of the kayak. I tried to get a gripper into its mouth, but ended up just grabbing the lure and lifting the toothy creature onto my lap (with suitable care of the nearby sensitive body parts). Once onboard, I laid the big pickerel onto my Hawg Trough to measure him. It is not easy measuring a long fish when you have one hand pinning the fish to the measuring board and the other holding the camera. My arms were almost not long enough to get the whole body in the photo. The fish measured out at 22-1/4". This is by far my largest ever summertime pickerel by more than 3 inches.

I talked to some anglers a few weeks ago who had caught a very large pickerel in Weems. I know where they caught theirs -- mine was caught nearby. I suspect it was the same fish.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

nice John, hopefully some of the vets will get into some next weekend when we bring them for our HOW event at Jonas Green Park

Comment

Great catch,nice looking fish, maybe the other fish was his brother

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Last winter the pickerel were very abundant in the Severn creeks and coves. That was a lot of fun for many local anglers. My experience of fishing the Severn frequently for the last decade is that pickerel are not so hard to find in the winter, but rarely get caught in the warmer weather. My pickerel mentor, Virgil Poe, once told me he thought that in the warm months there is so much natural food that a good predator like a pickerel is less likely to get fooled by a lure. Virgil's wisdom has been on target -- at least until this summer.

I have caught at least one pickerel on every second or third Severn perchin' trip since late spring. Most have been the abundant young pickerel we caught by the dozen last winter (12" to 15" long). I caught most of my winter pickerel on live minnows, but all the summer pickerel have fallen for artificials. I did find two 18" specimens earlier this summer.

This afternoon I had a fun paddle around Weems Creek looking for perch and relaxing a bit before a 4-day business trip starting tomorrow. I caught 25-30 perch on various spinner lures. The hot lure today for perch was one of Woody's feather jig spinners in the 1/8-oz size. Toward the end of the trip, I was thinking of working one last stretch of shoreline before heading home. I switched over to an ultralight rod with a 1/16-oz green spinnerbait made by MKF member Bignose -- he gave me a few of his creations last winter to try (they work just fine, thank you). I cast out and thought I was snagged on a submerged branch. Then the fish began to move -- initially it felt like just another 9" perch. Then it must have felt the hook because it took off back and forth, giving the slender rod a real workout. I eventually got the pickerel to the side of the kayak. I tried to get a gripper into its mouth, but ended up just grabbing the lure and lifting the toothy creature onto my lap (with suitable care of the nearby sensitive body parts). Once onboard, I laid the big pickerel onto my Hawg Trough to measure him. It is not easy measuring a long fish when you have one hand pinning the fish to the measuring board and the other holding the camera. My arms were almost not long enough to get the whole body in the photo. The fish measured out at 22-1/4". This is by far my largest ever summertime pickerel by more than 3 inches.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3921[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3922[/ATTACH]

I talked to some anglers a few weeks ago who had caught a very large pickerel in Weems. I know where they caught theirs -- mine was caught nearby. I suspect it was the same fish.

Comment

Great pickerel John! I am sure that ultralight will need the upcoming four day rest!

Comment

John,

Outstanding!!! That fish looks bigger than the one Roy caught. Roy and I were at Weems this morning, we decided to fish the river shoreline heading toward the naval academy bridge. We caught 2 dozen perch and 1 small rockfish between the two of us.

Have a good trip.

Dave
          WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

Very nice Pike, John- I too am heading out tomorrow for a week long business trip- fly back to BWI from Portland, Oregon, on Friday evening- I was glad that I got a chance to fish this week- might get a chance to get out Saturday or Sunday after I get back-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by WST120 View Post
              John,

Outstanding!!! That fish looks bigger than the one Roy caught. Roy and I were at Weems this morning, we decided to fish the river shoreline heading toward the naval academy bridge. We caught 2 dozen perch and 1 small rockfish between the two of us.

Have a good trip.

Dave
              Dave -

There are not likely to be two such large pickerel in that same section of Weems. My guess is that Roy and I caught the same one -- the photos you posted from that trip show a thick girth, just like today's fish. I put the fish back in good condition. Now that we know where he lives, we can try to get him again.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                Very nice Pike, John- I too am heading out tomorrow for a week long business trip- fly back to BWI from Portland, Oregon, on Friday evening- I was glad that I got a chance to fish this week- might get a chance to get out Saturday or Sunday after I get back-
                Safe travels Ron. I am rewarding myself for working this week by doing a long weekend at Wachapreague. My friend and I will fish from my center console in Wachapreague Inlet and near Fisherman's Island at the southern tip of the eastern shore. This will be our third annual trip like this. We usually catch a huge number of species. I hope we can do the same this year.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

That's a nice pickerel for any time of the year. I'm surprised at how fat it looks. I figured they might lose weight with it being so hot. I'm hoping the perch and pickerel are still biting on Saturday for the HOW trip. Thanks for the info.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

That's a beauty!

Comment

Very nice! Those Pickerel still seem out of place to me in the salty severn, but fun!
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

John,

The fish was great but those "Elvis" tennis shoes take the cake!

John
                        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Nice fish!!! My personal best is 19".. 23" is a pig anone inch off of a citation!

Meadeo
                          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I think you're the official pickerel whisperer. Nice fish John!

Comment

congratulations - that's a real nice fish!

Comment

Working...
                              X