little choptank 7/22/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little choptank 7/22/12

started off waking up way to early and headed out to Taylor island. arrived a few mins be for 6 and was out on the water a few moments later. on the way to where i was planning to fish i saw a lot of birds working the surface all over. so i started off chasing schools of 12 to 15in rock around. every different school i went to was the same dinks as the last. kept that up till the tide started to go out then started targeting the speks. i was LTJ on /around oyster beds and current breaks. with very good results caught 23 specks today. hot bait was a 1/4 jig and 4 in sea assassin in limechurse ghost. ended up keeping 3 for dinner fried them up and they where tasty.
    Attached Files

Excellent report! That 20-incher is really fat. The fillets look nice, too. Thanks for all the details.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I never knew there were trout up here can you get them that big in eastern bay?

Comment

Awesome! And right in my back yard!

Mmmm, I love Copenhagen encrusted trout...

Comment

Originally posted by donkey fish View Post
          started off waking up way to early and headed out to Taylor island. arrived a few mins be for 6 and was out on the water a few moments later. on the way to where i was planning to fish i saw a lot of birds working the surface all over. so i started off chasing schools of 12 to 15in rock around. every different school i went to was the same dinks as the last. kept that up till the tide started to go out then started targeting the speks. i was LTJ on /around oyster beds and current breaks. with very good results caught 23 specks today. hot bait was a 1/4 jig and 4 in sea assassin in limechurse ghost. ended up keeping 3 for dinner fried them up and they where tasty.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3924[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3925[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3926[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3928[/ATTACH]
          Where did you launch from to get to kayak friendly fishing waters for trout? What public boat ramp?

Comment

Nice work! I've always crabbed in slaughter creek on Taylor's island but never fished for specks. What type of structure and water depths do you look for?
            Shane
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Moc i dident take my yak wasent up for a 3 mile paddle i was in my John boat and i launched at taylor island public boat ramp

Comment

Originally posted by Reelaxin10 View Post
                Nice work! I've always crabbed in slaughter creek on Taylor's island but never fished for specks. What type of structure and water depths do you look for?
                Was fifshing oyster beds in about 15ft and places where i could see the current movein. Cant really give more info was flying blind need a new xducer fot the depthfinder

Comment

is that the ramp at taylor isl campground? i wanted to go there for a while but it is a hike. i think the campground charges $5 to launch

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                    is that the ramp at taylor isl campground? i wanted to go there for a while but it is a hike. i think the campground charges $5 to launch
                    The ramp is across the street from the camp ground and im fairly shure its free

Comment

Looking on the map the place looks really nice. Was there any decent fishing near where you launched your Jon Boat for kayak? Which is the best public boat ramp to launch from over there? I see several on this map, but do not know which one is the closest to potential spec spots... http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/dorchester.asp

Comment

ragged point looks better for kayaks

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                          Looking on the map the place looks really nice. Was there any decent fishing near where you launched your Jon Boat for kayak? Which is the best public boat ramp to launch from over there? I see several on this map, but do not know which one is the closest to potential spec spots... http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/dorchester.asp
                          ive gone out from the ragged point launch before also but the taylor island launch is the closest to where i was fishing. i dident really fish close to the launch because of my non working depth finder but i fished the mouth of slaughter creek and picked up a few short rocks and also hit the bridge on my way back in and had a few good hits there.

Comment

yeah if i was in a boat that would be a good launch but dont want to put 3mi out and back plus fishing mileage and the depths around ragged look pretty interesting

Comment

Working...
                            X