Great day of fishing the mattawoman on 7/21/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great day of fishing the mattawoman on 7/21/12

I fished Mattawoman Creek again on Saturday, arriving aroung 8:00am on the rising tide. Put in at the Rte 225 launch site, paddling downriver toward Slavins. Nice cool, misty, overcast weather..and immediately started catching LM in the flooded grass and lilly pad beds. I entered several of the cuts, floating among the beds, and casting buzz baits into the clear water and retieving back across the beds and hooked up with a total of 12 LM in the 15" to 20" range. I also caught a large snakehead on the same buzzbait in another set of lilly pad beds as the tide was receding, he destroyed my buzz bait and broke my rod tip..(more my fault) but he sure is tasty. I decided to head back at around 4:30pm and decided to fish a shallow diving crank bait and a Rebel floating frog and caught two more LM's. All in all a great day on the Mattawoman, I did run into a couple of kayakers that were at last weeks M&G...they were having success as well. Although I'm new to the kayak fishing scene...I'm getting hooked, much to the consternation of my wife!

Good luck everyone and keep wetting the lines!
    John

Cuda 12
    F&S Eagle Talon 12

Nice job Wedge! You are doing great. My last two trips out there I've only caught bass and no snakeheads. Looking forward to getting out there again with you soon. You'll have to show me your tricks. So how many rods have you broken down there so far?

Comment

Working...
    X