Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BB 7/22 More time on the water...best day yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB 7/22 More time on the water...best day yet!

Got on the water a little later than I like to, around 7:45. Saw some birds dive bombing so I paddled over and threw a 4 inch gulp swim mullet and caught my first rock in this boat! Only like 15 inches, and he had some sores on him, sucks to see that. Water seemed cleaner after all the rain, and it was colder as well. Great weather, not hot at all, 20-30 boats, probably 10 of them yaks out there in the morning.

Again I had no success trying to jig the pilings. I need to refine my technique more, it's challenging to keep the jig close to the structure but not so close as to get snagged on the brown gungy stuff. I spent a lot more time unsnagging my rig than actually jigging. Any advice anyone?

That being said, the boats only caught small stuff, the only person to land a big roc I saw was loose change, with what looked like a 30+ fish and another keeper. One of these days I will catch a big roc of my own...

Liveling spot had no results for me, and lots of boaters were doing that and catching nada.

Like Pinch had mentioned I found the small rock and blues blitzing the surface later on, they were right by the first pilings ( east side), it was very fun, caught probably 40 fish, but had to change tactics when the small blues bit the tails off all my swim mullets. A spoon or spinner, some sort of metal lure is much better with the toothy blues.
    Those blues are fiesty! One tried to bite my finger off little bugger. I also caught a toad on the deeper pilings on the swim mullet.

At the end of the day, my small spinning rod's 20 lb trilene test revolted on me. I have never seen line twist up so badly, i couldn't even fish with it.

I can't remember the fellow's name on here, but a super nice guy approached me as I was packing up at sunset at G dock and asked if I was a part of the "forum". He gave me a good tip about rigging the spot with a half ounce egg sinker, 18 inches of leader, than slowly trolling up the side of the pilings. He said" all you need is more time on the water" when i said I am having a tough time catching the big ones there. Good stuff.
    Attached Files
    What you give, you become.

Nice report! I was one of the yaks out there sunday (blue hobie revo). Fished 0530-1145 or so. One rock at 27.5", another couple hit and spit, and one more good fish that wrapped me around a pylon live lining using the rig you mentioned above. Here is what I was shown at the 1st meet and greet I attended and it seems to work pretty well. Drop the spot down till it hits bottom, reel couple cranks up, set the rod under your leg or in a rod holder with the tip close to the bow of your yak and then probe in and around the pylons slowly "trolling" back and forth. Watch your rod tip, if it isn't bouncing some the spot is still on the bottom and you need to reel up some more or its dead and you need new bait. Also the spot tend to freak out and really vibrate the end of the rod when you get them close to where the rock are hanging out.

Chimo

Comment

Do you like G dock launch or SPSP boatramps better?
      Last edited by On the fly; 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
        Nice report! I was one of the yaks out there sunday (blue hobie revo). Fished 0530-1145 or so. One rock at 27.5", another couple hit and spit, and one more good fish that wrapped me around a pylon live lining using the rig you mentioned above. Here is what I was shown at the 1st meet and greet I attended and it seems to work pretty well. Drop the spot down till it hits bottom, reel couple cranks up, set the rod under your leg or in a rod holder with the tip close to the bow of your yak and then probe in and around the pylons slowly "trolling" back and forth. Watch your rod tip, if it isn't bouncing some the spot is still on the bottom and you need to reel up some more or its dead and you need new bait. Also the spot tend to freak out and really vibrate the end of the rod when you get them close to where the rock are hanging out.

Chimo
        Thanks man! I believe we chatted briefly on the water, I was in an orange tarpon. Another good tip, another piece of the puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
          Do you like G dock launch or SPSP boatramps better?
          I have never been to Spsp. I like G dock because it is very laid back and free. Also it is a farther paddle put of Spsp, from what I can tell. Also the crab shack is by g dock, with the most delicious crabcake sandwich. hope this helps.

Comment

u don't really need to use an egg sinker unless your fishing in deeper water. most of the fish now are shallow, 10-12ft of water, the spot will swim down.

nice report btw! your getting closer to that 30incher!
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Cal,
              "At the end of the day, my small spinning rod's 20 lb trilene test revolted on me. I have never seen line twist up so badly, i couldn't even fish with it."
              When I am light tackle fishing, I make it a habit to periodically launch a one ounce sinker alone as far as I can cast. Reeling it in slowly allows the line to untangle.

I do this with both mono and braid and it keeps my tangles down.

Regards,

John
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I never weight the spot at the BB just free line. the only time I have weighted spot at the BB was when i am yo-yo'ing the spot...oops, did I just say that... dang....
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

re jigging. keep in mind that it is not hard to do but you do need to have no slack during the down part.

when you're used to how the lure feels as it goes down w/o slack - hook anything that feels different. a little tick, or even a little slack from the lure not going down when it should. they will mouth and reject a lure very quickly. the easiest place to practice jigging is probly vert jigging at a pier with no wind or current, but BB has fish to 'practice' with. but the wind, waves, current do complicate the actual jigging.

braid line helps a lot for 'feel' vs mono. other than that - have to get the lure where the fish are. sometimes in front of piling, sometimes in back, sometimes 20-100' behind piling.

it's often said that jigging can catch more numbers of fish but LL will get the bigger ones.

re line twist excess jigging with a some spoons, but especially trolling spoons (or any lure if it gets grass etc) can really twist line. you may have mono that jumps into wind knots, or braid that just seems to get loops inline etc. i use high quality sampo-brand ball bearing swivel between mainline and leader in nearly all situations to help reduce problems. with cost of braid, i usually just won't troll a spoon. but crankbaits usually won't cause problems.

Comment

This is my first post. I met some of you all at SHFKFJ. I was out on 7/22 as well. I was only able to get out for a couple hours but I managed to land a decent rockfish while jigging.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X