Bb 7/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bb 7/25

Not so good today. Meet echo5oscar and his friend around 5:30 at G dock. Went out towards the bridge but the water was tooooo rough to fish the bridge. Did some fishing near the marina and caught croaker, perch, and a small striper.
    Attached Files

From what I have heard from several experience BB anglers is that they're best days have come when its really rough conditions. Might be worth braving some chop. safety first though. -Cal
    What you give, you become.

Comment

Well atleast you tried. Winds look pretty calm this afternoon, hopefully I dont have the same problems you all did this morning...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yea, you guys should have planned on meeting up with Ryan instead.

Local date Wednesday, Jul 25
        Local time 0h 1h 2h 3h 4h 5h 6h 7h 8h 9h 10h 11h 12h 13h 14h 15h 16h 17h 18h 19h 20h 21h 22h 23h
        Wind direction n n n n n nne n n n nne nne nne n n nnw nnw wnw wsw sw ssw s s s s
        Wind speed 16 17 17 13 15 14 13 13 13 12 10 9 9 9 7 5 2 2 3 5 6 8 10 12
        Wind gusts (mph)30 31 31 20 23 22 20 18 23 18 14 12 10 10 8 6 5 3 5 5 7 9 13 15
        Keith
        2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

that didn't come out quite as good as it looks on the page, but its basically from 1300 - 2000 dropping from 9mph to 2mph
          Keith
          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
            Well atleast you tried. Winds look pretty calm this afternoon, hopefully I dont have the same problems you all did this morning...
            Ryan what time and where do you plan on launching?
            Richard
            Yellow Hobie PA12

Comment

Ryan,

If youre around mid-span this evening let me know how you're doing, I'll be out searching for some fish. Headed to SPSP as soon as I get loaded up.

Don
              2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Im launching at G dock hopefully by 530. I probably wont make it all the way out midspan...
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

It was flat calm today, I just drove across it to deliver a hobie wave to the eastern shore.

Comment

It was really worse than the pics show. The wind was blowing the morning. We did try but was no fun.

Comment

I launched out of SPSP this afternoon about 415pm. Winds were S-SW and pretty steady. There were lots of swells but it was manageable. I struggled for the three 10-12" stripers I caught. I headed back in about 7. Hoped to have better luck. Didn't get skunked but a tough day of fishing. Still hoping to catch my first 20"+ fish sine the season opened. Saw someone in a blue Hobie with outriggers a yellow Hobie and a couple others I couldn't identify on may way back in. Hope they had better luck.
                      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I attempted live lining for the the first time at the bay bridge and this is what came up:

I caught two spot along the shallow pilings, threw them in my drive well and zipped out to deeper water. First drop, fish on! Second spot looked like something had bit it, but it might have been a bit too big. I also caught maybe 4-5 12-15 inch Stripers jigging, a few nice white perch, and a tiny croaker that somehow ended up biting my 3" gulp minnow. I still dont think I quite have the right feel for jigging deeper water, maybe I just dont have a heavy enough jighead. In 30 ft of water my FF was going crazy, but nothing to show for it.
                        Attached Files
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I absolutely suck at fishing the Bay. I was out yesterday afternoon and evening and didn't even get a bite. I started off jigging some of the shallower west-side pilings....nothing. Eventually, wanting to get some exercise, I threw out some lines in the water and trolled on the north side from west to east and then back west on the south side. No bites and my FF rarely showed any fish.

Then, on my way back I saw baitfish jumping by the east side rockpile. So I stepped up my speed and headed for what I hoped was multiple fish - maybe even a big one. As my heart started going a little quicker, the FF exploded with fish everywhere. Just as I'm reaching for my rod, a camoflaged boat with 3 yahoos steers themselves immediately in front of me. Two of the guys on this boat immediately hook up. By the time I got re-adjusted, they had driven the fish off. Apparently stealth was not in their game plan. If they had cozied up beside me without revving their outboard, I think we both could have caught a lot of fish, but it was not to be.

When I got home I told my wife that I'm going to bite the bullet and dedicate my yak to the Baltimore County reservoirs. I'm done with the aggravation, as beautiful as the Bay is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahab View Post
                            I absolutely suck at fishing the Bay. I was out yesterday afternoon and evening and didn't even get a bite. I started off jigging some of the shallower west-side pilings....nothing. Eventually, wanting to get some exercise, I threw out some lines in the water and trolled on the north side from west to east and then back west on the south side. No bites and my FF rarely showed any fish.

Then, on my way back I saw baitfish jumping by the east side rockpile. So I stepped up my speed and headed for what I hoped was multiple fish - maybe even a big one. As my heart started going a little quicker, the FF exploded with fish everywhere. Just as I'm reaching for my rod, a camoflaged boat with 3 yahoos steers themselves immediately in front of me. Two of the guys on this boat immediately hook up. By the time I got re-adjusted, they had driven the fish off. Apparently stealth was not in their game plan. If they had cozied up beside me without revving their outboard, I think we both could have caught a lot of fish, but it was not to be.

When I got home I told my wife that I'm going to bite the bullet and dedicate my yak to the Baltimore County reservoirs. I'm done with the aggravation, as beautiful as the Bay is.
                            Unfortunately, that is all too common. Especially around the bridge. Don't give up though. There is plenty of great fishing in other areas of the bay. I am partial to south Dorchester County. The fishing is great. You are surrounded by peace and quiet. Very rarely do we even see another fisherman
                            Chesapeake Fish and Beer

Comment

Kayak fishing around the bay bridge can be very daunting at times...

Severn has great perch fishing and although there are plenty of yahoos on the Severn, they dont seem to effect the fishing too much. Perch are great eating and fun and easy to catch on light tackle. You also might end up catching a number of other fish that lurk in the Severn. Dont give up on bay fishing yet...
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X