Colton's Point, 7/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colton's Point, 7/25

I decided to meet up with Kevin (kevinfry) and Rick (OBX_RAT) to fish the Clements Island and Heron Island Bar areas after work. Rick had to bail, but Kevin and I launched a bit after 5pm to fish the rising tide. I was hoping to find some topwater striper action and to christen my new Extreme rod.

I picked up a few 9” perch casting a white, twin tail grub on a spinner arm around the docks near the launch before heading to the island. At the island, small blues and stripers were breaking here and there. I thought a 4” X-Rap would weed out the small fish. I was wrong:

Kevin caught several small stripers and blues. I picked up a 10 or 11” croaker while jigging a Gulp grub under the breakers:

I also caught some small spot on Fishbites and some small perch and a rat red on the grub, which made for 4 species for the evening. Kevin’s blues made 5. There was a lot of boat activity around the island, so we decided to head to Heron Island Bar to see what was there. Kevin picked up a sublegal striper on the way:

I missed several hits on my X-Rap on the way, which I don’t understand. I can’t even look at that lure without getting hooked. We found some bigger breakers, but couldn’t convince them to bite. Kevin and I set off in different directions, and I picked up a 16” striper on the X-Rap.

I started seeing marks around the bar, so I started jigging a Stingsilver. Almost immediately, I started hooking into 14-16” stripers. It was a good opportunity to tune into the rod I was using, but I couldn’t find any larger fish. It’s been a while since I’ve hooked into a legal striper, which is obvious by the fact that I thought every fish I hooked was pulling hard enough to be a keeper. I need to catch some bigger fish to recalibrate.

Kevin was getting into some fish, too:

He eventually landed a keeper:

He caught dinner-worthy bluefish, too.

The wind started picking up near sunset. The wind was blowing 180* from the direction that was forecasted and at about 10mph faster than predicted. I wish I could be 100% wrong at my job. I shouldn’t have been surprised, though, since Kevin and I were fishing together...

Sunset pic:

I tied on my trust Stillwater Smack-It as we ducked in the lee of the island. I had a few blow-ups, one of which was a striper that was exactly as long as the lure. That was the first time that has happened. Usually, the Smack-It weeds out the smaller fish. The other fish was another 16-incher. The wind started getting worse, so we called it a day a bit before 9.

Since I hadn’t caught a keeper, I tied on a big X-Rap (XR12) to troll back to the launch. On the way back, Rick and his buddies swung by in a boat. He shouted, “Hey, Bill! It’s OBX_RAT!” I didn’t recognize him and heard, “Hey, Bill! Throw an X-Rap!”, which confused me. I thought, “How did that guy know what I was trolling?” Shortly thereafter, I picked up another sublegal striper.

We actually had a bit of a surf landing back at the launch, and my cooler and crate got soaked.

The catching was pretty steady all evening long even if there were few keepers. It was my first time fishing that area, and it was cool checking it out. My neighbor had been telling me to go there for years, but I could never figure out where to launch. I definitely want to hit it again during the fall.

Some other pics from the evening:

We fished from early flood to max flood. I forgot to check the water temp, but it felt like bathwater when I stepped in at the launch. All the stripers I caught looked well-fed and happy despite the water temp. Given how ambitious the small stripers were in hitting big lures, maybe the heat was making them hungry? I caught fish with my new rod, too, which was cool, but I had issues with the last section flying off. I would check to make sure the pieces were properly seated every 3-5 casts since I haven’t used it before, but the last piece still kept flying off every now and then. I wasn’t casting especially heavy lures with it, so I don’t know what was going on. Any ideas?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

great report Bill, those little guys are vicious and fool me too. at least you got a quantity and variety of fish

Comment

Bill,

Wipe on a very thin coat of Goop on with your finger. It dries very fast so just put a dab on and rub it around. Let it dry overnight and it should cure your problem. I had the same thing happening to one of my travel rods and this fixed it right up.

Regards,

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
        Bill,

Wipe on a very thin coat of Goop on with your finger. It dries very fast so just put a dab on and rub it around. Let it dry overnight and it should cure your problem. I had the same thing happening to one of my travel rods and this fixed it right up.

Regards,

John
        Very cool idea. Should I apply the Goop on the ferrule (male part) or use it on the outside of the thread wrapping? I applied ferrule wax before using the rod. That has worked well on one of my older two-piece rods as well as my travel fly rods.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I had a great time fishing with Bill again. I hadn't had a good paddle in the salt for an eternity it seemed. I, like Bill, had always wanted to launch at Colton's but could not figure out how/where to go. In the end, it could not be easier. I definitely wanted to to fish there over the years.

It took a few passes through the channel between Heron Island Bar and St Clements Island to get a keeper but I sure loved catching 16 and 17 inchers anyway. They were well fed and put up a nice big tussle. Here is a nice sample:
          The nice bluefish also put up a big fight and his stomach was bulging with bait . I caught a few good fish on my little Tony spoon, but I was getting the most action on a Bomber minnow in red and silverflsh pattern.....first time since my time in Central America that that "red head" pattern has really worked for me.

Fish are all paella now

I was so surprised that after totally flat water the wind came up so suddenly and violently. I also discovered that the Pompano weathercocks quite a bit....looking at rudders now....

By the way, that blue fish had a whole and entire soft crab in it's stomache...weird.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Bill,

I put it on the male part that kept coming out. I don't think the wax will bother the goop, it is pretty sticky stuff.

kevinfry,

I found out the same thing with my Trident 13. I listened to several folks who swore that I wouldn't need a rudder. Then came the day that I was at Tolly point and the wind decided to make a liar out of the weatherman. I had to do four left strokes to every one on the right all for the trip back to Thomas Point. There was a point where I was thinking about leaving the yak at the city dock and walking over to get my car. I called Austin Kayak the next day and ordered a rudder kit. Man what a difference on a windy day in the bay!

John
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Yeah...contemplating a $199 rudder for a $399 kayak is killer LOL
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I feel your pain, it hurt me too but not as much as my shoulder.

To add salt to the wound, the "drop in" kit did not drop in. If I wasn't a skilled mechanic and machinist, the damn thing wouldn't have worked! I read them the riot act when they asked for feedback on the kit.

It does make a hell of a difference though.

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                X