Mattawoman Creek - 7/27/12. Yellow Perch and Some Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Creek - 7/27/12. Yellow Perch and Some Bass

I hit Mattawoman Creek with my son today. Things were a little slow mostly because we got there at 9AM and it was low tide.

My son caught nothing, but had an encounter with a BIG bass early on. He threw a beetle spin and a monster bass nailed it. He got the fish to the kayak, but it threw the lure while he was fumbling for the net.

Things were a little slow for me, with absolutely nothing going on with the topwater buzz baits and Zoom toads that I was throwing.

I switched over to a Mann's Baby -1 crank bait and for some reason caught 4 really nice yellow perch today. They were all right around 12 inches and were the biggest yellow perch I've ever caught. They even put up a decent fight.

We both had some snakeheads follow our lures right to the kayak. The snakeheads would follow the bait and make a big wake behind it. It looked like a torpedo coming right at the kayak. Unfortunately we had no hookups with the snakeheads. My son saw about 15 snakeheads and he was fishing and looking hard for them. I was mostly just trying to catch some bass and figured I might run into some snakeheads and did. I probably saw about 6 of them. They are neat fish to see swimming and they are amazingly fast.

I ended up with 5 bass for the day. The largest was 18 inches and I caught all the bass when high tide came along and I was fishing deep in the lilly pads and looking for open spots among them. Unfortunately no photo of the 18 bass. The 3 biggest bass all came on Zoom toads. My hookup ratio was a lot better today on the toads and I think it was because I was throwing the toad on a light action rod. Previously on my medium fast action rod I missed lots of hits on the toad. I think I was jerking the frog out of the bass' mouth too quickly with that rod and the light action seemed to work much better with the softer tip.

The other couple of bass all hit the same Mann's Baby -1 shallow crank that the yellow perch were nailing.

Too bad about your son's bass, but it still looks like a nice day. I wouldn't mind catch some nice yellow perch like that. Some of the bigger ones I've caught fought so hard they had me thinking I caught a decent bass.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I should have kept them all for eating, but each time I caught one I figured it was just a random thing and that I wouldn't catch another one. I caught one right before we left so my son wanted to keep it and see how it tastes compared to snakehead.

Comment

I put in the Mattawoman at Rt 225 on Saturday morning--saw lots of fish in the clear water but only landed one Y/P and one S/M bass. Oh, well.
        Headed to Avon on Outer Banks this coming Saturday for a week. Taking the yak, of course.
        Al

Comment

Sounds like a great day was had by you and your son, lots of bass and yellow perch. The snakeheads are elusive...just makes you want to come back again even more. I think I'm going out again on Saturday morning, we'll talk.
          John

Cuda 12
          F&S Eagle Talon 12

Comment

Working...
          X