Heroes on the Water, Severn River, 7/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes on the Water, Severn River, 7/28

I met up with a large group of MKFers at Jonas Green Park yesterday for the first Heroes on the Water fishing expedition. It was a nice crowd of folks, and I got to meet several members I hadn't met before.

Nathan (echo5oscar), Lynn (Old Cajun), and Richard (creolo25) during the pre-game:

Suiting up:

Zimm and I guided two of the heroes, Sam (a firefighter) and his wife, Dawn, around. Zimm had fished the Severn recently, so I followed his lead. We went to his spot, and Dawn and I started off using Fishbites on bottom rigs.

Zimm and Sam were set up slightly down current of us:

I only caught a few small croakers after a couple drifts and working our way along different depth contours. While deciding our next plan, some of the other MKFers stopped by:

All of us together:

I switched to my trusty 2" white, twin tail grub on a spinner arm and picked up a small perch. I gave the same lure to Dawn and we worked the same area.

Dawn and Sam fishing together:

I continued working the shoreline and caught 5 or 6 perch in the 8-9" range before finally picking up a nice 12" perch:

A little while later, Sam picked up a couple perch, too:

Unfortunately, I couldn't put Dawn on fish , so clearly I need to work on my guiding skills.

Soon it was time to head back and go to lunch:

Post-game debriefing:

Nathan and Lynn at lunch:

Mike (daddyg) and John:

Richard:

Sam and my shoulder, Blair Witch style:

It was a really nice day on the water, but it was good to quit before it got really hot. I had a lot of fun, and I hope our heroes did, too. Lunch at Mission BBQ was delicious, and the conversation was good, which made for an excellent end to the expedition. Thanks to all the HOW guys that organized everything and the other MKFers who came out for moral support.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Nice work Bill and all the others who participated in this event. That is a generous way to share our hobby with others.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

thanks Bill and everyone else that came out to support our disabled brothers!

Comment

Working...
      X