St. Clements Island with my girls, and Mr and Mrs "Fishtank"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Clements Island with my girls, and Mr and Mrs "Fishtank"

There will be no pictures of fish in this report, so some may want to stop reading now, LOL But we DID catch LOTS of fish, just absolutely no size. I kept waiting for that big Rockfish picture!
    We, (myself, the wife and my 13 y/o daughter) launched around noon after church and planned to paddle out to the Isalnd, fish a little, picnic a little, swim a little. The trip out was pretty bouncy for the ladies as the wind picked up and the currents between the point and island like to get stirred up.
    We fished our way around the lee side of the island I saw a couple of kayaks anchored up near the channel edge. One was obviously a yellow Hobie. I assumed it was Ictalurus Bill out there with someone so I paddled out to say "Hi" and get the local intel. It soon became obvious that the pilot of the yak was FAR prettier than Bill....sorry Bill. It was in fact forum member "Fishtank" (Tim) in his Malibu stealth 14 and his wife Pam fishing from the Hobie. They were taking a break from a heated fishing competition between each other. He was winning, but the word is Pam had caught the biggest at that point. They fish the Island a lot and gave us some good pointers.
    With information in hand, the girls and I were soon catching some small but feisty rockfish and Xela (my daughter) even had a croaker hit a white grub. That made the ladies hungry so we pulled up on the beach for lunch and were happily joined by pam and tim.
    Lunch was cut short by dozons of biting flies, however and we headed back out to fish...here is the flotilla heading out.
    Fishtank soon landed another puppy drum off a likely looking pile of rock ...
    I started trolling and caught some slightly bigger fish and Mr/Mrs Fishtank trolled off looking for better fish, too. I tried to teach the ladies how to troll......but evidently that is too much work. So, it was back to fishing the bottom, searching for croaker. We caught a few nice spot and the wind picked up ....another 180 direction change like I experienced with Bill mid week...The girls decided it was time for a swim.
    The wind quickly died and while the wife and I caught micro rocks and perch on a crocadile spoon and a x-6 purple x-rap, Xela took over bottom fishing. 6 straight spot on 6 drops including a monster 12 incher. There must have been quite a school there because while she was stowing one of her fish and her bait dangled just inches below the surface of the water another spot shot up from the depths and grabbed it!!! Crazy. Here is a lovely pic around where she was catching them. We paddled home, i trolled the little purple x-rap and caught a couple more 12 inch rocks and a little bluefish.
    I like fishing with the ladies and sure enjoyed running into the Fishtanks! Xela on the paddle home and Ardella...who LOVES her Pompano 120
    Last edited by kevinfry; 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

FAR prettier? I just got my hair cut and everything.

That sounds like an excellent day. A 12" spot is a nice big one, and I think it's a citation size. Were there a lot of boaters out there? I didn't see any in your pics.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
      FAR prettier? I just got my hair cut and everything.

That sounds like an excellent day. A 12" spot is a nice big one, and I think it's a citation size. Were there a lot of boaters out there? I didn't see any in your pics.
      None fishing the island. There were several families using the dock on the south side of the island for s break from boating and others touring the island (some coming out on the water taxi) but the only active fishers came as we left. they caught some small spot near where you caught the croaker then moved out to the end of the bar. I assume the were live-lining but did not monitor them well enough to see if they were successful.
      As for the big Spot, I did not notice how big it was until we got home. Xela and Ardella handled that one themselves! No male intervention needed. Too bad I did not get a pic though.

Comment

It was great to run into you yesterday and a pleasure to meet your family. Pam and I trolled over to Heron Island Bar after meeting up and found a mess of dinks with a few larger ones mixed in. Although at 17”- 18” inches that isn’t saying much, but the bite was consistent. We stepped out onto the bar and cast to both sides. Trolled around as well. Not usually much in the way of flounder there but I did have one follow a grub into a few inches of water. The bite at St. Clements is usually better than it was yesterday and we’ll be back there soon. See you out there again.

Attached Files
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Nice pic! Bet it is a one of a kind. I heard the flounder is picking up...some nice pics on Buzz's marina website

Comment

Working...
          X