Report on Deal Island 7/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report on Deal Island 7/28

I wound up going solo Sat. morning after a friend had an issue with work come up at the last minute. I have been hearing numberous reports of great speckled trout fishing in the Manokin River (similar to the group that fished Taylor's Island this weekend). I got to Winona around 7:15 in the morning, I quickly picked up two small hard heads with Gulp bloodworm...I was hoping for some small spot to use for live lining. I then started the quest for Mr. Speck working the island banks and shallows non stop for 2 1/2 hours using a variety of artificials with only a couple of bumps to show for it. Finally I accepted that the specks had move on, and anchored up on a small channel next to the rock piles. I started with a jig using pink Gulp and quickly had a nice 15" red drum, that was followed by a 12" one. Changed to chartreuse in hopes of getting a larger red...no luck...but I did get another small drum and a 15" rock. There were to many small hard heads to count through out the day (I have to replenish the Gulp supply as a result). Called it a day around 3:00.

good stuff! i'm no expert on specks but i believe it's typical for them to be found deeper in warmer water of summer. and that fishing the points/ledges is generally where you'll find discontinuities in the current. bait + current + structure =

congrats on the redfish!! i may be wrong but i'm kind of assuming these are the same fish that were 4" long just a couple months ago, and 10" about a month ago. i say this because i don't see reports of 4-6" rs anymore, or even 10-12"rs but the 14-16"rs seem to be getting themselves caught at the same locations the smaller ones used to,.. if they're growing that fast - maryland slot drum before water cools is looking more likely to me. dunno

Comment

Nice report. There are so many beautiful and fishy places over there. You are fortunate to live not too far away. I am thrilled to see all the red drum reports. I sure would like to catch a Maryland red drum this year.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Red drum are a great fish on light tackle- love them in the Gulf coast on medium/light spinning tackle...when I fish for them in NC, I use a lot heavier tackle as they get a lot bigger during the annual fall migration- 50 pounders are not uncommon- speckled trout- on the other hand are pretty much the same every where- max out at about 10 pounds, but anything over five pounds is rare-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I am going again tomorrow with one of my brothers in a conventional boat, in the general vicinity of Deal. I will let you know how we make out.

Comment

good luck Hemingway!

still thinking about growth rates and md slot size, i googled the attached chart. well - on the bright side, looks like we'll have 2 years to get them if they're not lost as bycatch for some other fishery first.

ps - chart is apparently from a state with different size limits,...

Comment

That's very good data to know, Southerly. Let's hope they are back next year. A lot of folks are crediting the better health of the Bay for the new encouraging numbers, and say the red drum are just choosing the Chesapeake over some other place. Whatever the reason, it's all good!

Comment

very nice! moc and i got into a few reds in the 15" range sunday morning at the mouth of the severn r. using small spinners with 1/8 oz jig head mine was chartruse deer hair with 2" power bait curly tail. funny i havent heard of any flounder being caught over there.

Comment

Working...
                X