OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC

well - it was windier than i needed, but i fished the 50 bridge area yesterday. south winds 15-20, reducing to near 15 most of the time. water temp about 85 outgoing, about 80 incoming before i left.

1st, fished the channel south of inlet near the sunken boat and south, then the rockpile at the inlet, then up to the bridge and west channel a little bit. 1 - 17" flounder, 1 - 6" sea bass, 1 - 12" blue. the wind slurd the waters and filled them with grass making fishing less than optimim. but the toughest part was just before sunset, i saw some tailing fish at the marsh edge but couldn't get them to take a gulp swimming mullet. i can only estimate their size as around 2' mebbe.

Been planning to get out there soon. One keeper flounder (MD limit is 17?), not bad. Wonder what those 2-feet fish are. Maybe some metal or top water would have worked. Thanks for the report.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

i don't know what the fish were, didn't get an accurate measurement, or even a hit. keep in mind current was running pretty hard in same direction as wind - i got what i consider about a dozen good casts where i would bet fish (or fishes) got a look at my lure, and chance to go for it. cast past the fish acitivity and brought back thru in pretty good style w/o being too close myself.
      with the sun basically going down - the clock was ticking and i did the best i could think of.

at first i threw a 3/4 oz gold KM because it was ready and i have good confidence in it. then i switched to 1/2 oz bkd head w/4" chartreuse swimming mullet. the head was heavier and bigger hook than i need but it was reasonably handy.

redfish are reknowned for tailing. they put their nose down in the bottom and root around. i can't be sure this is what was happening, or if it was more just close quarter maneuvering as they chased the little minnows up in the grass.

the tail was the right shape, but i did not see it as clearly as in the photo i clipped from web. i really dunno but i'm sure that would have been my catch of the day if i could have made it work. dooohhh!!!!

ps - there was a stinky rotting tuna head up on the beach at gudelsky. bet it came off a 200-300 pound tuna.

Comment

The wife and I hit the Oceanic pier last night and my wife had the first fish between the two of us after a couple hours of nothing. It was a 10" croaker. Later I caught a couple shad. Not much more action than that for anyone else either.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Sorry to hear about the rough conditions, but at least you caught some stuff and gained some good intel. Sounds like a return visit for the tailing fish might be in order. I'd love to see that in person.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i may go out to see the dew games. my nephew is a bmx rider, so it's a family thing. i should be able to set up for better conditions on the flounder fishing portion of things by getting out early with a better tide and hopefully less wind. but won't be able to hang around the marshes at dinner time.

Comment

Working...
            X