Paddle till you run out of water!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle till you run out of water!

The wife and kids were out of town this week so I got a lot of seat time in the Yak! Tuesday I went up Deer Creek untill I ran out of water then started fishing my way back down. I was throwing a 6" jerk shad in about 2' of water not really expecting to catch anything I made "one more cast" and a 15 1/2" smallie blew it up. Caught 2 moe not quite as big farther down stream anlong with the usual Rock Bass, Blue Gill, and Fall fish.Wednesday morning explored Broad Creek, what a beautiful area and an easy launch. Fished out in the open water for quite a while with no luck but was marking lots of small fish, there wer so many giant schools of bait fish I thought something would be chasing them down. After paddling out to the mouth I did what I did the day before and paddled till I ran out of water. I beached the boat on some rocks got out and waded for a while. With a jerk shad on again I caught a 4 lb Largemouth in 3' of water two feet behind my boat! The water temp out in the open was 85 deg but back in there it droped to 73 and that was the ticket. Wednesday night I fished the pier in Havre de Grace by the light house with some home made catfish bait i was experimenting with and landed 4 cats over 20" and 1 small one in about 2 hrs. I was going to fish the channel but some thunder heads kept me out of the yak. Friday evening went to the Quarry in Joppatowne with a friend who has fished it with good luck out of a Bass boat so this was his first time really fishing out of a Yak. I caught my biggest fish, a 4.5 pounder on a crank bait along with a small stripper and white perch. My friend caught three large mouth in the 4-5 pound range. He will probably have a kayak before Bow season starts. Once again we paddled till we ran out of water up the little Gunpowder. Have not had that great of a week on the water in a long time!
    Yellow WS Ride 135
    Sand WS Tarpon 100

Sounds great! It is fun when the family joins in!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Ive launched ot of Mariners point and paddled down the creek headed back to the quarry and caught a few nice bass I didnt know about the quarry at the time until my buddy told me about it is there a quicker way of getting there?
      2011 Feel Free Moken 12

Comment

If you have a cart to use you can turn off Joppa Farm Rd onto Shore Dr and right before you get to Town Center Dr look to your right there will be a brown gate with a trail. We drop or gear there and park at the end of the bike lane, just watch out for the fire hydrant! The trail starts out asphalt turns to hard pack then grass. It takes me about 30-35 min to park,unload,hike,launch. The trail is in decent shape just watch out for a rut or two about half way there, the launch is a little steep and eaiser at high tide but very manageable. Google maps has a pretty good image. Also the gate is always locked, but you have a good 4' of clearence under or to either side.
        Yellow WS Ride 135
        Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Thanks I'm gonna try that it looked like a long paddle from mariners point on google maps
          2011 Feel Free Moken 12

Comment

It has taken me about an hour to paddle from Mariner in the wind. Also keep an ear out for bass boats coming in on plane. Good luck
            Yellow WS Ride 135
            Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Thanks for the tips
              2011 Feel Free Moken 12

Comment

I was close to going to the quarry yesterday, but instead I headed up to the flats for some largemouth. I caught a few last week on topwater but this week was a little slower. Today I was at mariner point with the wife...towing her around on her raft The guys were telling me there are a lot of bass at mariner point as well. By the looks of it, I'm not surprised.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Finally got some pics uploaded from those trips.
                  Attached Files
                  Yellow WS Ride 135
                  Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Originally posted by MOHAWK135 View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4092[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4094[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4095[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4091[/ATTACH]Finally got some pics uploaded from those trips.
                    There some nice bass I was there at mariners point yesterday fished the train bridge caught some white and yellow perch
                    2011 Feel Free Moken 12

Comment

Haven't fished the train bridge since high school. There used to a reliable catfish hole about 20 yards south of the bridge and 30 yds off the Harford county shore.
                      Yellow WS Ride 135
                      Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Working...
                      X