St. J's Creek- Saturday evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. J's Creek- Saturday evening

Kevin (Kevinfry) and I hit the creek last evening- jet ski heaven on a Saturday afternoon- lots of boat traffic- really nasty winds, too- waves in the mouth were dangerous breakers- ask me how I know...had to try it- at least once- I did; made it out in the Bay and back but it was a wild ride- didn't try that again- it started out slow- had a few bites on UL tackle- small stuff- croakers, small redfish- started trolling an XR8 XRap olive and hooked up- for the next 35 minutes I fought another big cownose ray- finally got it boat side and Kevin tried to help but we couldn't coordinate- Finally got my hand wrapped around the leader I straighten out the hooks on the XRap and release a very large ray- cut my hand with the line but saved my XRap lure.

Kevin and I had camera problems yesterday- my waterproof camera is shot- won't hold a charge- Kevin changed his batteries at the start of our trip- his was dead, but at least he fixed his by replacing his batteries- mine is the rectangular lithium type-

Right before dusk, fishing picked up for me- started hitting 13 inch redfish pretty regularly- caught three pretty quickly- one on UL spinning tackle and the other two on jig tipped with 4 inch Gulp- no big stripers this trip but conditions were not right- winds were wrong, water was turbid, boat traffic, jet skis- you name it; it was wrong- but we still caught fish- I ended up with a dozen fish released- three croakers, four redfish, four white perch and a big cow nose ray- I had a small striper hooked that I lost at the boat when I grabbed the leader, but that doesn't count as a catch-

The tides were high (4 pm) when we started and began falling- we fished the outgoing tide most of the afternoon- I fished top water poppers as much as I could given the strong gusting onshore winds and hard running outgoing tides in the mouth of the creek- the rough waters with breakers in the mouth made it just too tough to be successful- I felt sorry for Kevin paddling in those conditions- it was hard enough with the Hobie Mirage Drive system- we got our exercise yesterday-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

congrats on successful outing in tough conditions. jet ski heaven,... i hear ya. small striper boatside, touched leader. i'd say = caught fish with clean release. how bout the ray? i defintely wouldn't put that in my lap w/hero pic to count as caught,...

now if you had been looking for dinner and it was a 24" rock,... different story.

Comment

Ron...wouldn't feel sorry for me. Remember, we've fished in worse!!!! I seem to bring the wind wherever I go fishing these days. My haul for the day was a cownose ray that took my currently hottest lure and two small redfish. I did not use bait today, nor did I jig for flounder since the prime local for that was infested with PWC. I'm sure I could have had more fish in the boat using bait, but I was feeling stubborn.
      Still a better day than being at the desk!
      Here is Ron in mighty battle with the stingray from hell

St Jeromes under fading light...
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

It was at least 50 pounds, Southerly- four/five foot wingspan- no way I was going to put that in my lap- gotta love those Wright & McGill Capt. Blair Wiggins Flats Blue SGlas rods- tough as nails-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-05-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Wow, that sounds intense. Jet skis get on my last nerve. That creek is plenty big enough to go off and play somewhere people aren't fishing. If I were on a jet ski, I wouldn't want to worry about hitting someone, right of way, etc. I don't get it. Even so, it sounds like more fun than cutting the grass and other chores I was doing.

I can't believe you straightened the hook on the X-Rap. Kevin and I were talking about that when he hooked up with a ray at St. J's. Those hooks are pretty hard, which doesn't seem conducive to bending.

At least I'm not the only wind-bringer...
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Those black hooks were damn tough no doubt about that- the 30 pound Berkley Trilene leader cut into my hand pretty good before it straightened- It is sore today- coated it with anti-bacterial cream- the waters of the Bay can have some pretty potent stuff in it-

Comment

nice job guys. south winds sucked all weekend and jet skis need to be outlawed! Ron going to start calling you the cownose cowboy, just keep then coralled down there

Comment

Working...
              X